Thread: marking gauge

marking gauge

I think I have a couple, now. Been clearing off the bench, this morning....lots of toys were put into the tool drawer..
    tool drawer, filling up.JPG
    Might be time to open a second drawer?
    marking gauge...a second one has been cleaned up..
    Marking gauge, cleaned up.JPGMarking Gauge, markings.JPG
    Brass shined up, got the beam to move freely. Haven't done anything to the "nail" Ruler is readable, too...
    Marking gauge, times 2.JPG
    May be able to leave each set up to a certain width...Longer one does not have that brass strip, though...
    may find some use for these two?

So...how would I go about sharpening that nail? single bevel? double?.....Longer gauge has a single bevel, with the flat towards the fence.

I've had good luck with a spear point. First I sharpen the end of the "nail" like a bullet point, then add flats on opposing sides until a razor sharp edge is created at the point. It's important the edge is aligned parallel with the fence to prevent wandering or a ragged line. The resulting mark looks like it was made with a razor knife.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks, I'll give that a try....

I do mine exactly like Rob described. Get a nice tip and then file two sides to get it thin aligned with the cutting direction. Works great.

Blog Entries
    With two old wooden gauges, one is flat on both sides for slitting and thin marks. The other is flat on one side with the bevel toward the fence. This gives a little help in pulling the fence to the edge of the piece being marked.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-30-2019 at 9:00 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

have about 6 drawers to build, later...may set both up for that job. Right now, I am busy raising panels..
    Computer Desk Project, grain details.JPG
    to build the sides of a desk, that will hold those drawers...