Thread: Russian Olive Bowl

Russian Olive Bowl

It's a slow day on the forums, so I thought I'd share a bowl I made from wood given to me by a fellow Creeker, Paul Williams. Paul cut up and helped me load a nice haul of wood that he'd recently cut down. He has a beautiful property with loads of trees. This was the first blank I'd roughed out and dried when I bought my new lathe in February, and I was finally able to finish it last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Wes.

It’s great to partner with someone and get some wood that would otherwise wasted.....Regards, Rod

Good looking bowl Wes. The color is a little lighter than I expected, but that might be due to the finish. I used BLO and shellac on the last Russian Olive I turned (from the same tree) and it was quite a bit darker. Will still be cutting trees in the winter, call me if you want more.

Nice tree

Nice bowl. Here are a couple more from the same tree. It is fun to see what all comes out of one tree. Thanks for sharing Paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both are nice. Good work Jenny. I really like the grain of the tall one with the finial.

Paul, I was surprised too. The only other piece that I had finished turned really dark with BLO. I only used sanding sealer and EEE Ultra Shine on this bowl.