Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Spread A Lot Of Glue - So....I bought this.....

I Spread A Lot Of Glue - So....I bought this.....

Since I seem to spread a lot of glue and sometimes my glue ups are really long and several pieces, I decided to give this little device a try.

glue_spreader_.jpg

I was truly skeptical until I needed to use this on a 9 foot long butcher block top. This worked pretty well and saved me "tons" of time and effort. This is another little device that I'm glad I spent the money on. I ordered it off of Amazon.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerodis-Porta...gateway&sr=8-7

Looks good. How’s cleanup with it?

Great idea!
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Cleanup is crazy easy. I typically pour the left over glue back into the gallon jug and then just toss the whole thing in a 5-gallon bucket of water until I'm done with clamping and general cleanup. It's much easier in cleanup than I planned for and I really like this thing a lot. Easy to use and easy to cleanup.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

My oh my this is interesting. Just because im a dummy, what prevents the glue from pouring out the bottom of the hopper? If you set it aside for a minute while you position boards does it turn into a mess? Like you, ive glued up my share of countertops. I thought buying an ink brayer 7 years ago was game changing. This thing is a step beyond that.

Patrick,
    The "feeder" part of it is grooved so that as you roll it down a board, the rubber pad is pressed up against that hopper-roller, and glue is fed down onto the rubber roller pad. The stand that it comes with has a collection point in the bottom so that when you set it on the stand, any remaining glue on the roller or coming out of the hopper will drip into the bottom of the stand. All I know is that I like how simple it is to care for, use, and you can seriously spread on the glue with this in no time flat.
    Dennis -

That looks like a perfect addition when I start up the yearly cutting board factory.

Something else I didn't know I needed that's now in my shopping cart.

A while back I saw a Youtube cutting board video where the woodworker was using a similar device, only it was stationary on the bench and the roller was on top. You ran your stock over the roller, which was partly submerged in the glue. Never could fine one.

Dave, I think I have the one you are describing made by Virutex. Works as a hopper type spreader or you can run boards across the top while it is on it's stand.

Works well but a lot pricier than this one.

http://virutex.com/whitevinylglueapp...odelem25d.aspx

I’ve almost bought one of those several times but have been skeptical. I’m glad to hear you like it.

Are there any drawbacks you have found?

Thanks for posting this.

How does it do on edge glueups? I am not sure how it limits glue on the width not touching the wood.
    Bill D.

It doesn't limit the glue on the surface areas that it's not touching, but I've also paid attention to it where there is some glue drip, but I also try to use the entire roller surface to spread the glue a bit better. Once the surface is coated with glue (the wood), the roller wheel slides around because there's nothing to make it get traction to roll. IMHO, that's saving me glue and mess.

In short, I'm really happy with it and your experiences may be different than mine, but I'm doing my best to be open, honest, and up-front with my thoughts on this. I wasn't ready to spring big money on a fancy commercial spreader, but I've also toyed with the idea of making a fixed pan with a roller sitting in it to roll my wood across it. I just haven't gotten that far yet.
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Dave, I think I have the one you are describing made by Virutex. Works as a hopper type spreader or you can run boards across the top while it is on it's stand.

Works well but a lot pricier than this one.

http://virutex.com/whitevinylglueapp...odelem25d.aspx

Thanks; that's the one. Yeah, they're really proud of it.

I'll bet I could build one (without the lower dispenser feature) for next to nothing from a drywall mud tray and an old power feeder wheel.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 06-28-2019 at 1:19 PM.

Dennis , did you get the smaller one or the wider one?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

WOW I didnt even think about this but once in awhile I come across them old fashion top roller tape adhesive dispensers that are open top where you run the tape over to put the glue on for packing boxes. Usually are 2 to 3 inches wide. they are usually pretty dang cheap because the people at the estates and factory sales dont even know what they are. But if you are gluing up alot of wood for butcher blocks they would be perfect.