Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling myself??

Calling myself??

Three calls yesterday evening to my landline showing my name and my landline phone number? They did not leave a message. I think now they are trying to confuse us into answering. Anyone else had this version?

Yes. It's done regularly. I don't need the phone to talk to myself, so I never answer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    We had a rash of those a couple of months ago with our name and number. We also get calls from local numbers that we don't recognize. Like Ken, I don't need a phone to talk to myself either.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

All my landline calls go to the answering machine with a message of "Please leave a message after the beep".

Got five of those yesterday...calling ourselves on our land line. None today. Let's hope that doeesn't happen again for a while. I hate to think how many others got calls from our number, but I'm beginning to think the land line is becoming a liability.

I have received a call in which the number on caller ID was the cell phone being called. I don't understand why the Federal Government doesn't pass laws against spoofing phone numbers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have received a call in which the number on caller ID was the cell phone being called. I don't understand why the Federal Government doesn't pass laws against spoofing phone numbers.
    Most likely because those with the power to pass such laws have been bought and paid for by those who profit from not having such a law.

Besides, if you have signed on to the "Do Not Call" list, you know how effective it hasn't been.

It does look like the telephone companies may be starting to do something about it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It does look like the telephone companies may be starting to do something about it.

jtk
    Apparently Verizon can identify spam calls, but sends them through any way with a caller ID that says spam.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Apparently Verizon can identify spam calls, but sends them through any way with a caller ID that says spam.
    That is a good feature. At least it would let me know before picking up the phone if my sit.wav should be used.

Google sit.wav to find out about the Special Information Tone that signifies a number is not in service.

The SMC software does not allow me to attach the file, so you may have to do a little work to download it.

Mine is usually left open on my desktop ready to be activated when the caller ID indicates it is a spam call.

Some auto dialers will call back immediately. Just play it again Sam. One actually called back twice. Haven't heard from them since.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

What's this thing you call, "land line"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is a good feature. At least it would let me know before picking up the phone if my sit.wav should be used.

Google sit.wav to find out about the Special Information Tone that signifies a number is not in service.

The SMC software does not allow me to attach the file, so you may have to do a little work to download it.

Mine is usually left open on my desktop ready to be activated when the caller ID indicates it is a spam call.

Some auto dialers will call back immediately. Just play it again Sam. One actually called back twice. Haven't heard from them since.

jtk
    Doesn't that confuse legitimate callers?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Got five of those yesterday...calling ourselves on our land line. None today. Let's hope that doeesn't happen again for a while. I hate to think how many others got calls from our number, but I'm beginning to think the land line is becoming a liability.
    If you have a digital voice line you should look at NoMoRobo. We have it and it's a blessing especially during political seasons. The only 'cost' is reporting illegitimate phone numbers if you choose to. The reason for needing a non-POTS line is that it requires simultaneous ring (as I understand it). Like Lee, we have a Verizon land line and we get single rings with spam along with the number on the caller ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If you have a digital voice line you should look at NoMoRobo. We have it and it's a blessing especially during political seasons. The only 'cost' is reporting illegitimate phone numbers if you choose to. The reason for needing a non-POTS line is that it requires simultaneous ring (as I understand it). Like Lee, we have a Verizon land line and we get single rings with spam along with the number on the caller ID.
    Strangely enough, we have NoMoRobo as part of our cox.com telephone package. It didn't help in this case. It's not totally infallible. Maybe one in five calls gets missed by NoMoRobo. It helps, but it's not the absolute answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Danstrom View Post
    What's this thing you call, "land line"?
    It's that thing that was used after soup cans and piano wire but before cell phones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Doesn't that confuse legitimate callers?
    Most legitimate callers are identified by caller ID.

If it is me calling myself, it is clear the call isn't legitimate.

Our medical provider's phone system is about the only caller we know who shows up as "unknown." Most of the time they are calling from a number that is recognized.

Most legitimate callers will likely think they may have dialed incorrectly and call back.

jtk