Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bridge City Tools

Bridge City Tools

The folks at FWW are trumpeting the soon to be released Dual Angle Bench Planes from Bridge City Tools. Scary money. I am an extreme tool nerd. I love precision. These planes (and other BCT products) exude substance, quality, and luxury. Am I the only guy that considers them an elegant and horrifically expensive solution desperately seeking a problem? No disrespect to BCT.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

2. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2019...ew-hand-planes

They look nice, but I want to feel wood on my tools when I work.

Holy mother of pearl . . . $900+ for the bench plane, $600+ for the block plane??!?

They will impress your non-woodworking friends when they see them on your mantle.

Whether you wear a Rolex or a Timex, there is never enough time to get it all done right if you don't know what you're doing.

Blog Entries
    The article says:

you eliminate the need, space and cost of owning a low angle and regular block plane, essentials for any serious woodworker.
    They are a bit off on eliminating the cost. At $689, there would be money left over from all seven of my block planes and one of them is an LN #60.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I guess when compared to Karl Holtey planes, these are a real bargain. Compared to my Stanleys, they are a ridiculous price affordable only when one has won a big lottery or come into a huge inheritance.

Since I fit into neither of these categories, I'll stick with my old Stanleys. They still get the job done as long as I do my part.

Allen

Pure marketing here:

“Last year, it was big news when, after 35 years of designing and manufacturing tools that were treasured and passed down through generations, John handed over the reins of Bridge City to his good friend and licensing partner, Jack Xu, CEO of Harvey Industries.”

Tools made for 35 years have not been passed down through generations. They may be, but have yet to live long enough to do so.

Regardless of the copywriting hyperbole, they are beautiful tools and I’d love to give them a try. If you decide to pull the trigger Rob, please give us the full report.

If it floats your boat, go for it. Myself, the irons cost more than most of my planes did.

They seem so "precious" I'd be afraid to use it. Imagine seeing it knocked off your bench. maybe I'm more clumsy than most?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    They seem so "precious" I'd be afraid to use it. Imagine seeing it knocked off your bench. maybe I'm more clumsy than most?
    Hopefully at that price they are made of ductile iron.

Though it could be the price is due to them being made of unobtainium.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The cost to produce a fine product is always considerably higher at a tiny manufacturer.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Rob I have to agree with you, very expensive solution looking for a problem. I looked at their bench vise this morning. The mounting worried me, only six screws, the usable bench thickness limited to 7.5cm, the large pipe in the middle really limits the vise usage.
    Compared to a traditional Danish vise: You can have 5” or more bench depth with its grip! Full usage of vise face all the way to the floor. All for $40 plus some wood. No mounting worries.
    My whole bench was $600 of materials!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I dont personally have a need, or even a "want" for Bridge City Tools like these. But finely crafted stuff really is nice, and if that's what you work for, I get that.

And "expensive" can be an eye-of-the-beholder thing. Plenty of retired guys here laugh at us for buying "just" LV or LN tools, let alone BCT stuff.

(Full disclosure: I did buy one teeny tiny BCT pocket square from LV for $23. I keep thinking about sending it back because the "magnet-mounted sliding steel fence" is just chintzy sheet metal.)

Just my $0.02.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-26-2019 at 9:04 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flamone LaChaud View Post
    Holy mother of pearl . . . $900+ for the bench plane, $600+ for the block plane??!?
    And to think I bought a Caliastro #4 because I was worried about the cost of the LN. Sheesh.......