Thread: Request feedback on Laguna P-flux 3 dust collector

Request feedback on Laguna P-flux 3 dust collector

If you have the Laguna P-flux 3 dust collector, I'd like to hear about your degree of satisfaction, especially with regards to chip/dust separation. I'm aware the ideal cyclone is taller than this one but I need a short cyclone because my shop suffers from "low ceiling syndrome" (it's 82" high). When the P-flux 3 first came out, some users reported separation was not so good, while others said it was excellent. Oddly, I find few posts on this topic after 2017. Please report on your experience with chip separation and overall satisfaction if you have this DC.

I own a short-cone cyclone, and would not buy one again. If I had a short ceiling shop, I'd make a long-cone cyclone fit. Perhaps you can place the DC so that the motor fits between two floor joists, and maybe use a shorter wider chip bin.

..or change the standard cyclone configuration. Move the motor so that it sits beside the impeller housing instead of on top. The impeller would need its own shaft, and structure to hold it. Use belt drive from the motor to the impeller. Use a motor whose rotation direction can be reversed from the usual direction. I'd probably start this project with Clearvue parts.

I also have a short cyclone (JDS 2hp) and if I were buying something new I would certainly look at a long cyclone for the dust separation. If you are restricted to the short cyclone one thing I've found that helped massively with collection was to remove the plastic bag from the main chip bin. When I was using the plastic bag (I also had the metal hold-down to keep the bag pressed to the bottom of the bin) I would have to empty the post-filter bag every time I emptied the main chip bin. Without the bag I can easily go though 5 main bins before needing to dump the secondary bag. Just something to keep in mind if you go with the shorter cyclone.

Blog Entries
    We always need to remember that on the forums people are sharing their experiences. This adds value. When sifting through this the reader needs to determine if the statements are meant as comparisons based on multiple experiences. We often hear people praise a chisel or a saw blade only to learn that they have never used a sharp chisel or have been running the same 40 tooth blade for a year ;-) My point is that someone who has only run a shop vac will see almost any DC as fantastic.

Regarding post-filter spoil in the previous posts . . . I'm not trying to jump on the band wagon but, I get about a quarter cup of talcum powder-like spoil in my post filter bag every 6 months or so on my long cone machine. This will certainly vary with use but, it is conservative to say that I run the DC four days a week on average. I've never actually kept track and almost said "every day" but, I do put have 'material selection' days and I do put finish on things so that ca't be right ;-)

I also cycle mine more often than I feel I should as opposed to letting it run for hours. I may be subconsciously trying to kill it since I "settled" for a 2HP and wish I would have gotten larger. I keep anticipating ill effects but, have been at it for 10 years so far. the 2HP is satisfactory but, when it comes to DC's and bandsaws . . . I prefer awe-inspiring.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-01-2019 at 9:30 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the C-flux 3 and do not have any complaints about separation. I am a hobby woodworker and use the DC on weekends for the most part. Using any machine except the drum sander I get a negligible amount of dust in the secondary bag. The drum sander is a different story. Not a problem amount but considerably more dust in the secondary bag than with the other machines. Also I would not call the flux machines short cone, rather medium cone.