Thread: Caliastro #4 update

Caliastro #4 update

Finally got a chance to use the #4 smoothing plane from Caliastro. Being retired I was a bit averse to plunking down a couple of hundred when I had never had a #4 plane before. So I found the Caliastro for about 55 bucks and got it and tuned it up the best I know how, sharpened the blade and waited for a chance to really give it a go. I'm in the process of building a Stickley 962 server table and used the plane on the top after the glue up. It worked great. It's solid, the settings stay set, the sole is flat - all in all a decent tool. The shavings in the pictures are .004" and the plane was easy for this old fart to use. I know folks are going to say the difference between this and LN (for example) is night and day; and I may opt to purchase a high end plane once I know what night looks and feels like, so I can appreciate day. And I included the pic of the rough boards (part of the 60 bf I just got) because I like fleck. Just cuz.
    20190625_113329.jpg20190625_113356.jpg20190617_171022.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks like it may be a good user.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

QSWO Junkie here. Nice wood. Looks like you have the plane dialed in too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Slick Bill. It is a good feeling when things work as advertised, no?
    David

Nice sheen, no tracks or tear out...
    what's not to love?

Bill, if you paid 5 times more you would think that was a great plane. Sometimes I’m using my Clifton thinking what great shavings, then I get out my cheap Stanley #4 and produce the same shavings. My micrometer confirms they are the same!
    Clearly it does the job very well!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Nice sheen, no tracks or tear out...
    what's not to love?
    +1. Good move Bill!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”