Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sometime you gotta blow off the sawdust

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,644
    Blog Entries
    11

    Sometime you gotta blow off the sawdust

    Newest addition to my shop. Replacing my 30 YO beloved 1 hp Craftsman Compressor. It just didn't have the chops to run an impact gun on big bolts or a DA sander or a die grinder. Old one going to see service in my son's future pole building, keeping it in the family. Next project: brake job on my motor home. 3.7 hp sharing my 20 amp 220 volt dust collector circuit. They won't be running at the same time.

    compressor.jpg
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-08-2019 at 8:45 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tippecanoe County, IN
    Posts
    496
    Ole, that's a nice looking compressor. If the motor has an actual nameplate I would sure like to see a photo of it if it's not too much trouble to get to it.
    Beranek's Law:

    It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    49,580
    Congrats! You'll enjoy having the larger compressor available.

    BTW, don't assume that the compressor and DC will not be running at the same time unless you physically turn off the compressor...they tend to want to add air lost from use and leaks when they want to. Consider installing an easy to access tank drain, too...you can extend it with 1/4" NPT products.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  4. #4
    With a nice compressor like that I'd look into getting an HVLP gun to spray stains and finishes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,644
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    With a nice compressor like that I'd look into getting an HVLP gun to spray stains and finishes.
    I do have a DuraBlock HVLP conversion gun I have used for multiple projects including painting the CJ7 and clear coating my Winnebago class A.
    NOW you tell me...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,644
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Ole, that's a nice looking compressor. If the motor has an actual nameplate I would sure like to see a photo of it if it's not too much trouble to get to it.
    Can't get a good angle on it, hopefully you can read it. Click on it to enlarge. compressor4.jpg
    NOW you tell me...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,644
    Blog Entries
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Congrats! You'll enjoy having the larger compressor available.

    BTW, don't assume that the compressor and DC will not be running at the same time unless you physically turn off the compressor...they tend to want to add air lost from use and leaks when they want to. Consider installing an easy to access tank drain, too...you can extend it with 1/4" NPT products.
    Yep, that is bound to happen eventually, that should pop the 20 amp breakers for sure. My 200 amp panel is really full, not looking forward to running another 220 volt circuit. As for the tank drain, I'm way ahead of you. This is cobbled from my old compressor.
    compressor3.jpg
    NOW you tell me...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,644
    Blog Entries
    11
    And here is my old compressor. I really liked it except it only cycled 80-100 psi, so seldom did I actually have 100 psi to run a rattle gun. As you can see in the second photo, I was able to get it off the shop floor with an aluminum angle bracket bolted to the concrete basement wall. Man that is an old photo just after I got my G1023 and before I got my new dust collector and passed on my Monkey Wards RAS to my son.

    The new compressor will cycle up to 175 psi which is too much for my other regulators, so I installed a 1/2" regulator set at 120 psi just after the new compressor.

    I looked hard at the smaller 110 volt 20 gallon vertical semi-portable version at $499, but for another $50, and having the room, it would be crazy to not upgrade the the monster I got.

    compressor2.jpg shop1-copy.jpg
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-08-2019 at 3:54 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tippecanoe County, IN
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Can't get a good angle on it, hopefully you can read it. Click on it to enlarge. compressor4.jpg
    Thank you Ole. That's an excellent photo, I can easily read the tag.

    I was wondering what the motor rating would be on a 3.7HP compressor. I guess a 3.7HP motor is appropriate! Wasn't really expecting that.

    So the 20A breaker holds the start current? A LRC Code N is a really high starting current.
    Beranek's Law:

    It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,644
    Blog Entries
    11
    No problem popping breakers. The nameplate shows 17.2 FLA while the specs on line show 16.2 FLA. I was a little concerned as I prefer to stay within 80% of the breakers capacity. But it works.

    I like your tag with Beranek's Law. I built a small 4" speaker still in high school, nothing special. But I remember there was a Popular Science project about the same time (1961) where you built a large speaker using 16 5" speakers. Supposed to sound sweet as they all balanced each other. Called the sweet sixteen. A few months later a letter to the editor from someone who built one commented that it sounded like 16 cheap speakers. Still pops up on a Google search.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-09-2019 at 7:54 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tippecanoe County, IN
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ... I built a small 4" speaker still in high school, nothing special. But I remember there was a Popular Science project about the same time (1961) where you built a large speaker using 16 5" speakers. Supposed to sound sweet as they all balanced each other. Called the sweet sixteen. A few months later a letter to the editor from someone who built one commented that it sounded like 16 cheap speakers. Still pops up on a Google search.
    I remember that project! My dad had a subscription to Popular Science and I would read it cover to cover as soon as it arrived in the mail. Weren't Wordless Workshop and Smoky's Garage regular features or was that another magazine? I sort of miss magazines. Back then my regular reads also included Consumer Reports, Time, Newsweek, High Fidelity, Audio, Readers Digest, and, of course, Mad.
    Beranek's Law:

    It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •