Thread: Unusual Hand Saw

Unusual Hand Saw

Howdy from Maine,

I've been lurking for some time now and have very much enjoyed the wit and wisdom of the group. This is my first time posting.
    I came across a nice little saw the other day and when I cleaned it up I discovered a great etch and the name "Carlisle Special" on the saw. Is anyone familiar with who the maker of this saw might be?

Thanks!
    Lon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to read the medallion on my tablet, but it looks like a “Warranted Superior.” If that is the case, it could have been made by any of the major makers. I have several with local hardware store brands etched on the blade, and when I inquired about it years ago was told Disston or Atkins or somebody likely made it to order for the local hardware store the way Millers Falls made the “Craftsman” line for Sears for so many years.

Somebody more knowledgeable is likely to come along as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Hard to read the medallion on my tablet, but it looks like a “Warranted Superior.” If that is the case, it could have been made by any of the major makers. I have several with local hardware store brands etched on the blade, and when I inquired about it years ago was told Disston or Atkins or somebody likely made it to order for the local hardware store the way Millers Falls made the “Craftsman” line for Sears for so many years.

Somebody more knowledgeable is likely to come along as well.
    I thought about it being a store brand too, but I couldn't find any reference to Carlisle as a retail store. It's the complexity of the etch that is interesting to me... and yes, the medallion is "Warranted Superior".

Thanks for your thoughts!

Blog Entries
    See this saw for an unusual saw.
    Google morphy/wheatley-carlisle-handsaw

Ah, the old Carlisle special. Definitely a Disston, and definitely the same saw as seen in this 1914 catalog clip, the number 061.

140.jpg

Yup... that’s the saw! Thanks a bunch for the information!

So... other than it being a nice little Disston saw, is there a market for them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Butcher View Post
    Yup... that’s the saw! Thanks a bunch for the information!

So... other than it being a nice little Disston saw, is there a market for them?
    There is always a market for good usable saws. The price the market will pay is a bit fickle and unpredictable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Being a DISSTON will add to its appeal...
    Jerry