Thread: Broken planer - posts not aligned

Broken planer - posts not aligned

My planer will not raise or lower. I've spent the past few hours trying to fix it and would appreciate any advice. It's a dewalt 13". You can see from the picture that the planer is no longer level as well (sorry it is upside down). I've taken it apart as much as I could and can't find where it is stuck. Perhaps it's somehow crossthreaded? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20190622_161111.jpg

Blog Entries
    Most likely your chain that drives the two acme threaded height adjustment rods has skipped one or more teeth.

IMG_20190622_161111.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think Lee's right. The raise/lower mechanism is very simple and obvious if you remove the lid - just a chain wrapping a sprocket on each post, and a tensioner. Should be easy to take the tension off the chain, manually move each sprocket to reset to level, and re-connect the chain to each.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try again tomorrow. I was never able to get full access to the sprockets/posts despite taking off every part I could. I was able to create some slack in the chain. Hopefully I can move the sprockets tomorrow.

There was a problem with the sintered iron sprockets on earlier models.
    They would break.They sent me new steel ones and have had no problems for the past 8 years.
    Contact customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by cecil rolfe View Post
    There was a problem with the sintered iron sprockets on earlier models.
    They would break.They sent me new steel ones and have had no problems for the past 8 years.
    Contact customer service.
    Is there a built-by date on this?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Nor sure, call customer service with the serial number. ask about the sprockets. When I did they sent me new ones.

I got the machine working again on Sunday. It was a bear to take apart - with some hidden screws I couldn't find until I found some detailed instructions here:

https://amymakesstuff.com/2016/03/27...-dw375-planer/
    https://www.lumberjocks.com/topics/25101

Once the tool was apart, fixing the misaligned sprockets wasn't too bad. I loosened the chain tensioner. Then I grabbed the sprockets with channel locks and twisted them into alignment (measuring from the top). One had a missing tooth, but it seems to be working fine.

Finished the job and got my project done today! Thanks for the advice.