Thread: question about deck footings layout

question about deck footings layout

I hope this is the correct forum. My last post about decks started in the off topic forum and was moved here.

The deck I am building has sort of a "dog ear" on one corner--meaning it is cut off at a 45 degree angle. I have uploaded a crude sketch to illustrate this, hopefully adequately. The circles in the sketch represent the footings where the 45 degree angles are. The deck is grade level and I am using "pour in place" post brackets that the beams rest directly on. My question is:

On those two footings with 45 degree angles which way do I orient the brackets and which beam do I attach to them? Is there a specialized bracket for this application?

20190624_113448.jpg
    Last edited by Günter VögelBerg; 06-24-2019 at 2:20 PM.

i would attach them to the angled beam, and hang the shorter sides off that and to the house. notch the top for the rim joist and use screws, or get a Simpson bracket for the purpose.

here is a link to their design guide. Of course, keep in mind they want to sell you a bunch of brackets.

Gunter ,a couple questions. Are what you are calling footings actually piles ? Think tube drilled in to dirt and poured. as long as the 45 degree corners meet on top of the pad or pile it will not matter which side the bracket is on. Except for the way it looks.I would use Pressure treated lumber for the joist part and joist hangers on all of it.

I do it different than some. I put two posts in at each angle, one on either side of the joint. In your situation I would put one on either side of the 45-deg angle, a short distance from the where the two pieces meet. This makes the deck a little sturdier which doesn't hurt a thing. I like to put the posts just inside the rim joists and fasten them securely with carriage bolts through the rim joists and the posts. I usually use 2x10 or 2x12 rim joists and 4x6 posts and run the posts all the way up to the railing, if there will be a railing. If the deck is low to the ground I might use 4x4 posts. I can usually position the posts so they fit between the joists.

I built a long multi-level deck with each end angled back 17-deg and that's how I built it. This is not a very good photo but it's all I have - the 17-deg angle on this end of the deck is near the middle of the picture, the railing is on the angled section. The short post on the rim joist that runs parallel to the house and a longer post on the angled section.

deck_posts_P9051597.jpg

If I didn't use double posts at the 45s, I'd probably orient them aligned with the house (not with the angled part), positioning the corner of each post right at the joint and cut a block with a 45-deg angle to fit between the side of the post and the angled rim joist.

JKJ