Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: this is gonna hurt

Don't beat yourself up over "mistakes." Try to learn from them. Nothing I ever built didn't have something I wished was a little better.

It looks like a really classy piece that anybody would be proud to own!

Good Morning,
    Thank you all for your kindness.
    i guess i do that to myself all the time.
    there is always the next piece.
    what a great journey.
    I will try to keep your advices, and get back in the shop.
    regards
    Eric

Kudos on the chest. Just keep at it and you will satisfy your desires. The comments above are spot on, especially Andrew's.

Having built many pieces over the last 3 decades, I am considering going back to some of them to correct the functional errors. After that, I may move on to correct the cosmetic errors in several others. All of these may keep me busy for the next 3 decades. Or I may just finish the several projects that I have started - not having a clear notion of when I started them.

Life is a journey. The future is more important than the past.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Nice piece. The "perfect dovetail" obsession is a modern thing; plenty of historical originals have chips around them. Sometimes I think that is why they often just veneered over them. To the craftsman of yore it was just a joint, and a quick and easy one not requiring a lot of accuracy. Historical texts mention dovetails along with other standard joints, but they don't have any of the quasi-religious reverence you see today, if anything, they note that finger joints are probably superior to dovetails due to having more glue surface.

I think the whole "height of craftsmanship" nonsense comes from certain magazines (and craftsman) in the 1970s to today looking for ways to market themselves to the hobbyist market. Nothing against those magazines (or craftsman), I like many of them, but in the process, this particular method of joinery has been elevated far above its actual historical importance and functional utility. It is really just a way of attaching two boards together; nothing more, nothing less.

Myself, I just fill the chips with wood that looks the closest. I also tend to start on the side that is most hidden, so I am in the most practice when I get to the seen side
    +1 on all this.

As an engineer, I appreciate when something comes out technically 'perfect' (never really does!). But some of the pieces that get the most compliments from others, are ones that are far from perfect. One of the favorite pieces, a couple of the drawers do not close in the Winter. I offered to fix/adjust and was turned down, stating that just this fact added to the charm of the piece.

Wabi Sabi - appreciate the beauty in the defects.

This tends to be especially true over time... 100 years from now those dovetail defects will be appreciated as a key human element of the piece. (otherwise just crank out mass produced pieces with automated machinery.. nothing special there)

A nice chest, enjoy!

I think it’s pretty damn sexy. I like the lid hinges a lot. My only suggestion would be to run the front rail of the lid all the way across rather then between the sides but I don’t think that detail takes away from the Craftsmanship.

I will pm you my address if you are throwing it away. looks great we all know where our mistakes are. A friend calls his stuff primitive rustic to account for mistakes
    Hugh
    Ezboardwalk Jr
    Ls 3025 tractor
    Polaris Ranger 500 utv
    echo cs 400 18 in cs 590 24 in
    Makita 2030 ( awiting rebuild )
    Hatitich job site table saw
    cutech 2 knife planer