Thread: I guess I'm the only one who hadn't figured this out

Blog Entries

I guess I'm the only one who hadn't figured this out

I have the Rigid belt/oscillating sander. When sanding , for the most part I only use maybe the bottom inch or two and when that part of the belt wears out I flip the belt to now use what was the top. Then when I wear that part out I throw the belt away, leaving for the most part the center section unused. Yesterday it dawned on me to place a 1x4 on the platform and now I use the center section too. Only took me about 5 years to figure this out!
    Dennis

It took me three years to figure out I could fill my coffeemaker with the retractable wand on the faucet. I feel your pain.......

Three tips -

1. Sanding belts don't always hold together at the seam if being run backwards. Always use it in the correct direction first.

2. Get yourself one of those rubber sanding belt cleaners and you will make your sanding belts last even longer.

3. When using the center of the belt, like you are now doing, I use a piece of double sided tape to hold the 1 X 4 spacer in place.

I have the Triton version of the oscillating spindle/belt sander and these methods keep me using the same belt for a very long time.

Charley

Blog Entries
    I have a couple of pieces of 1" MDF that I use to stack on the table, which allows me to use the whole belt.

No, I hadn't figured this out yet either, thanks for sharing!

You can also just rip off the worn portion and use the narrower belt. I actually do this with our 40" wide belt. I've got 20" inch wide belts I'll throw on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    It took me three years to figure out I could fill my coffeemaker with the retractable wand on the faucet. I feel your pain.......
    You can? Dang. I hadnt thought of that either.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Works great for filling a pot of water to boil for pasta or such as well.

Kudos on the coffeemaker tip!!!
    brilliant

10. Yeah, Took me a while too. They really should design them to allow raising and lowering the table though.

Blog Entries
    Similar approach with scrap "plates". Dowels and receiver holes in the "plates" keep things put.

G0529 table stack (4).jpgG0529 table stack (5).jpgG0529 table stack (6).jpgG0529 table stack (7).jpg

This was version 1 with version 2 not yet justified .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Similar approach with scrap "plates". Dowels and receiver holes in the "plates" keep things put.

G0529 table stack (4).jpgG0529 table stack (5).jpgG0529 table stack (6).jpgG0529 table stack (7).jpg

This was version 1 with version 2 not yet justified .
    I have a similar sander. You would think that ,when I thought of the solution for the Rigid sander, I would have applied it to that sander too, but I didn't. Thanks for the tip, I will do that today.
    Dennis