Thread: Harlequin table: Last images for a while

Harlequin table: Last images for a while

A frustrating Sunday: I began installing the horizontal divider/drawer blade, and my spatial confusion (or lack of concentration) kicked in. In went the divider ... upside down! Well, fortunately it jammed half-way and could not be glued in ...

Knocking it out, however, caused the rear section of the panel (it is made of three boards) to break off. It was glued back again, but the panel needed to dry before starting again, and so I lost my Sunday afternoon. This table is destined for the Perth Wood Show at the start of August, and I am already battling with time as weekends are generally all that are available for woodworking.

Fortunately, I had this afternoon (Monday) off from my practice, and had a couple of hours to try and catch up a little.

The glue dried, and the panel was fine. It was sanded to 240 grit, and then installed. Ditto the side dividers. All went smoothly ... all lined up and everything is square. Clearly I have been a good boy

The reason why the table is termed "Harlequin" is that the drawers will be a mix of different timbers: Black Walnut (x3), Figured Hard Maple (x2) (both from the USA), and Tasmanian Blue Gum (x3) (which is local, of course).

The drawer fronts all curve, and I spent the last part of the afternoon cutting out the Walnut blanks. This will will give you an idea of the effect ..

Unless someone is interested in a walk through in dovetailing on the curve (which I have posted here previously), the next images will be the completed table.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looking good Derek. I am excited to see with all the drawers. What are you using for pulls?

michael

Love the look of the legs Derek. They are longer than I thought, makes the piece look lighter and the little shoulder lovely. I think you will do well at the show!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Derek,

It should do well in the show, as always nice design, nice work.

ken

Looks great with the dividers and will look forward to seeing the completed piece. I agree you should place well.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra