Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flux core welder

Here are some poor examples of what a Mig flux cored wire weld looks like, without chipping the flux off after. I was mostly thinking about getting this job done, and not how nice the tool looked, when I made these folders for a standing seam roof edge. They are some pretty ugly welds before cleaning. I did grind whatever the coating is on the ViseGrips off because I didn't want to breathe whatever it was burning during the welding. (clean release duct tape protects the surface of the metal, and I like these folders better than any commercial ones)

Also, making the hydraulic hose holder for the batwing mower (yellow thing sticking up on front of mower) was done much easier outside than moving enough stuff to get that rig in the shop, and the little welder is easy to move to such places, and all you need is an extension cord. Without that yellow thing holding the hoses up, a couple of hundred dollars worth of hoses are in harms way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-29-2019 at 8:30 PM.

Having used both MIG and Flux core wire welders off and on over the past 25 years or so and stick welders since 1960's and TIG from time to time. I would suggest a DC output wire welder that you can run flux core in now and someday if you decide to use gas you can. All my welders today are DC out and can run on either 115 or 230 AC volts input.

My present setup after selling off all my name brand welders in preparation for a move that never came....Harbor Freight Vulcan MIG 215 (which can run flux core) and a Longevity 140 amp inverter stick welder I also have set up for TIG.
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-30-2019 at 4:07 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    "Not dangerous" as in, "not flammable/explosive".

A cylinder of inert gas can displace most/all the oxygen in a non-ventilated area pretty quickly, leading to hypoxia. Probably not an issue in a garage or out-building shop, but definitely a concern in a basement shop.
    There is more of a danger with high pressure tanks not chained to the wall or not in a cart falling over and the valve knocked off becoming a rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Hi Marlin,
    Was that a "typo", or are you planning to buy a flux core? If you are contemplating a flux core (or not), I will be happy to offer you some knowledge based on my experience as a "professional welder". Please offer some more details of your plans and expectations.
    David

Desert Hybrids Precision
    Sorry about the late reply but yea I did some welding in the past about 30 years ago but was a stick welder. I been around flux and mig welding and tig but never done any just coworkers doing the welding. But been contemplating on getting a 140 or a 170 flux core to do some projects with.

I did a little stick welding in the past so I know a little about metal prep . I been looking at the Forney Brand of invertor flux/mig welders and they usually a little cheaper than Millers and Hobarts and they have great reviews on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    “Storing gas” is not dangerous as you are using an inert gas. It cannot ignite. I run a Miller 211 and it is excellent. Multi voltage. If you can swing it, you do want a 220 machine. It is just so much more capable. Flux core is ok but running straight wire is so much cleaner and you can see what is happening with the puddle more clearly, not having to deal with the flux. The famous last words of welding is “I am only going to need up to 1/4”. Ole’s comment about his son who owns the 110v machine, but takes his heavier stuff to work where they have real machines is your caution. I wish I had bought a 252, but that is the way these things go.
    I am not worry about the gas per say just that I am limited on room

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Having used both MIG and Flux core wire welders off and on over the past 25 years or so and stick welders since 1960's and TIG from time to time. I would suggest a DC output wire welder that you can run flux core in now and someday if you decide to use gas you can. All my welders today are DC out and can run on either 115 or 230 AC volts input.

My present setup after selling off all my name brand welders in preparation for a move that never came....Harbor Freight Vulcan MIG 215 (which can run flux core) and a Longevity 140 amp inverter stick welder I also have set up for TIG.
    I been doing alot of research and also I done DC stick welding in the past and love the easy start of DC output plus all the research into flux core/mig welding everyone recommends DC output so I been looking at the Forney Brand.

you might want to look at the hobart 190,, nice for a smaller machine

Forney Brand was the goto welder back in the day, 1950's and on. We had a guy come to the farm and demo one, which we should have purchased but did not, I was like 12 years old then. Not sure where they are made today, the website says USA but the welders look imported.

Hobart and Miller both make good welders. But I purchased that Harbor Freight MIG for 1/2 the price of a Miller that has the same ratings. In any event any MIG or Flux core you purchase make sure its DC out and can have gas added for true MIG in the future.

Check harbor freight their welders used to be made in Italy. Some of the wire was also Italian. I understood the italian wire was made by ESAB which is a top brand. Some older models were made in Russia.
    I would say why not buy a buzzbox dc stick welder? They are cheap and nothing to go wrong.
    Bil lD