Thread: Anyone using the Sawstop sliding table?

Anyone using the Sawstop sliding table?

Every time I go to the woodworking store I have to look at the Sawstop sliding table. It just seems to call to me. But I keep reading the complaints that there are no detents and how can you be sure that you get back to 90 degrees without detents. But these comments seem to be all coming from people who don't have one or used one much. When I look at the miter markings and the indicator, it seems that it would be fairly easy to match a setting.

Does anyone have one or used one extensively? I'd like to get some opinions from people who have worked with it a while.

Thanks
    Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Hi Cliff,
    I have the Grizzly sliding attachment on my table saw. This is almost exactly the equivalent of the Saw Stop, although I have read that some prefer the Grizzly over the Saw Stop. You can't depend on the markings on the miter gauge to get back to zero (90 degrees) or any other angle with any confidence and/or repeatability. The miter gauge will need to be set at 90 degrees to the blade using a large framing square or some other more precise method every time the miter fence is reinstalled onto the table. There's really no way to get around this if you require accuracy. I use an Incra miter sled attached to the slider for accurate cuts. Let me know if you need more information or photos.
    David

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?274635-What-kind-of-TS-setup-is-this/page2

20190607_163151.jpg

I have one and I like it a lot. I tend to not rely on the miter gauge when changing angles, so I've had no problems with it. I guess that's a drawback for those who need to get things done quickly?

I have the smaller SawStop sliding table on my ICS. The OEM miter gauge was hard to adjust and last year I upgraded to the so-called "new and improved" miter gauge with detents. I still found the cursor difficult to read and a small magnifying glass helped to set it to other than 90 degrees and return to 90 degrees. For my eyes, the cursor is just too coarse. When checked it with my square, at times it did not always return to 90 degrees. Was frustrating as I felt I could not rely on its accuracy/ability to return to 90 degrees or any other setting.

On Facebook, there was a thread on the Saw Stop User's Group page (started in early April 2019 by Dave Funk) about removing the OEM miter gauge bar, drilling and tapping it to fit an INCRA miter gauge head, then installing it on the sliding table. A few weeks ago, Peachtree ran a sale on INCRA miter gauges and I ordered one. Also ordered the 36-64" Telescoping Flip Fence from INCRA. I had a local metal fabricator drill and tap the bar as I wanted to be sure the spacing for the four holes to fit the INCRA were dead-nuts-on.

Definitely a game changer! No problems returning the miter gauge head to 90 degrees after setting it at a different angle.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 06-24-2019 at 12:20 PM.

I have the Grizzly sliding table on my Delta contractor saw and really loved it. I paid $570 plus tax at Grizzly in Springfield Mo.about 5 yrs ago. The miter Gage and fence is made very heavy but not planned out good. I put a new wood fence on with Kreg stop.I took the pin out that index's and that made it easier to set it at 90 or what ever degrees you want. And I also use a square to set it to 90 degrees.
    I have not done this yet but I think a flip stop could be mounted to the movable table on the left side to always set the fence to 90 degrees . This is how the sliding table saw's set there fence to 90.This should work if you did not move the table.
    For me it is so much easier and safer cross cutting wide pieces or for me anything.
    The Saw Stop table looks like a well made in videos and pictures.
    The Grizzly table is quiet with no side to side play and rolls with no effort. Any way as can you tell by my post that I am very happy with this sliding table. The only way I could be happier would be is to have a real sliding table saw. But at 80 yrs old probably not going to happen. But thankful for what I have, thank you Lord. Thanks for listening,Bob
    Last edited by Bob Potter; 06-24-2019 at 10:41 PM.

I’ve got the old style SawStop sled on my PCS and I use it daily and love it.

When it was new (about 3 years ago) I was frustrated with trying to find 90 after moving it, but I’ve found that once I get 90 set on the little movable index, I can reliably return to 90 pretty easily.

Instead of checking it with a big square, I’ll periodically check it by doing some test cuts on a piece of hardboard. It’s about $8 for a 4x8 sheet and I use it for small projects, so making a big cut doesn’t really cost me anything and I can really dial it in.

My process is this:
    1) make a long cut (preferably 4 feet) at 90
    2) flip the hardboard so that I’m cutting the opposite side and using the same side as before as my reference side against the sled
    3) make another long cut
    4) measure at the near and far end to check for accuracy
    5) adjust if necessary and repeat

This whole process takes about 5 minutes and I do it every couple of months.

Long story short: I’m very happy with the crosscut sled

7. I have the grizzly and I mostly like it. My biggest complaint is that it is cumbersome to remove the miter gauge part when I need to rip something that is longer than the distance allowed when pulling the slider all the way back.

Thanks for all feedback. I went ahead and picked up the Sliding Crosscut table yesterday.

While the store was checking that their stock was the new version I was talking to one of the Sawstop techs and I asked him about how some people were reporting that there was a bit of slop in the miter setting, even with detents. What he told me was that there is a rubber O ring on the part that goes into the detent. When engaging the detent you needed to push a little harder and the O ring would center the head and take out the slop. He didn't think that was mentioned in the manual.

I'll report back after I get the table set up.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

The crosscut table is installed and dialed in. The first time through I did the 5 cut test with a 8" square. 90 degree cuts seemed dead on but 45s were off a little. Tried a number of things but couldn't get them to close. Was about to call tech support and give it one more chance before trying the Incra head. Just to be sure I dialed in the gauge again from scratch but this time I started with a 30" square for the 5 cut process. Took some tweaking and this time when I had the 90 degree cuts working the 45s were perfect. Really happy with the table now.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

10. Hi Cliff - how easy is it to take the miter gauge on and off? I switch between crosscut and rips and want to be able to easily swap. I currently use an Incra5000 sliding sled and gauge, which works OK, but I'm thinking of upgrading.