Thread: Are there flashlight batteries that don't leak?

Are there flashlight batteries that don't leak?

I've used a variety of brands of AA and AAA batteries and have yet to find a brand that doesn't eventually leak. This includes Duracell, Eveready, and AC Delco, plus brands that are included with new electronic devices.

Is there a brand that won't leak? Isn't there technology to make a no-leak AA battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I've used a variety of brands of AA and AAA batteries and have yet to find a brand that doesn't eventually leak. This includes Duracell, Eveready, and AC Delco, plus brands that are included with new electronic devices.

Is there a brand that won't leak? Isn't there technology to make a no-leak AA battery?
    Energizer 1.5V Ultimate Lithium batteries have never leaked for me and on are reported to not leak on numerous internet threads.

Rechargeable Enelope batteries have also never leaked for me and have a reputation of being even more durable.

Every brand of alkaline batteries I've ever tried eventually leaked.

I too have used Enelopes for at least a decade with no issues, but my sample size is way too small to say "never". All alkalines eventually blow up and leak, many of them sooner than later, so I can, with confidence, say the Enelopes are much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Energizer 1.5V Ultimate Lithium batteries have never leaked for me and on are reported to not leak on numerous internet threads.

Rechargeable Enelope batteries have also never leaked for me and have a reputation of being even more durable.

Every brand of alkaline batteries I've ever tried eventually leaked.
    +1 on the Eneloop batteries (made by Panasonic). I have a set of 10 (8 AA & 2 AAA) that I've had in and out of service (photography) since 2008 and are still in use. They were available at one time (as recently as a few months ago) at my local Costco but are not available online from them at this time.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post

Batteries are essentially a chemical making electricity by eating its way through the material which encases it. In the old days the battery usually died before it completed its deterioration. Modern batteries have improved life by being able to make electricity beyond the ability of the encasing material to contain all of the active chemical.

Rechargeable batteries may be the way to go.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

rechargable batteries are so cheap now that I haven't used one with disposable batteries in years. All the flashlights that we use now run on 18650 Li. They're cheap on ebay, as are some really good flashlights that put out about 1000 lumens. The brighter the light, the shorter the length of time the batteries last, but they're cheap enough to have a bunch of batteries charged up.

Don't keep batteries in items you don't use regularly enough to wear out the batteries - remove them.
    Then even if they leak, no harm done.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Last year, I had to throw out a box of "D" alkaline batteries which leaked. Tossed a couple "Maglights" for the same reason. Now I buy rechargables from HF to use in my devices instead.

I have heard of wrap in handiwrap and melt in the oven. then scrape the terminals clear. I have also heard of dip in wax and clear terminals. Where I live this would not work in summer. The wax would runoff and clog the switches etc. Maybe a coat of paint or varnish?
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    +1 on the Eneloop batteries (made by Panasonic). I have a set of 10 (8 AA & 2 AAA) that I've had in and out of service (photography) since 2008 and are still in use. They were available at one time (as recently as a few months ago) at my local Costco but are not available online from them at this time.
    Bob, I could have posted the same reply. As an old school recently retired photographer, I've used Eneloops for years and they have never leaked or let me down.

Just a note to store batteries in a way where the terminals don’t touch. We actually had a house fire in our community that was determined to have been started by a bag of batteries. Even the recycle can at our community office started smoking one day.