Thread: Want to Buy (WTB) Bowl Adze

Want to Buy (WTB) Bowl Adze

I want to make a few boat shaped bowls and am looking for a Bowl Adze. If you have one that you no longer use, please contact me by posting here or by PM.

It would look something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry Taylor Adze.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	411796

I can buy one new but I'm hoping to save a bit by finding one used.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just FYI - I found a head (only) on eBay for $30 plus some shipping. Here's what it looks like once I put a handle on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adez01.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	412954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adez03.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	412955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adez02.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	412953

I sharpened it up well and gave it a go. I wouldn't say it's a great tool for hollowing things but I got it to work by putting it in place and then hitting it with a mallet.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    I know you are trying to save some money, but if you do get into bowl carving you should really take a look at Hans Karlsson's adzes. They are not cheap (by no means) and go for about $250. However, their design makes hollowing quite fun, and they stay sharp for a while. From the cutting angle of their heads, to the shape of the handle, everything seems to have been well thought out.

Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Kila View Post
    Mike,
    I know you are trying to save some money, but if you do get into bowl carving you should really take a look at Hans Karlsson's adzes. They are not cheap (by no means) and go for about $250. However, their design makes hollowing quite fun, and they stay sharp for a while. From the cutting angle of their heads, to the shape of the handle, everything seems to have been well thought out.

Earl
    Thanks, Thomas. This was just an experiment. I had a piece of wood that I thought would make a nice oblong bowl and wanted to try using an adze to carve it. I think the adze would work much better on green wood.

What I've done so far is to use a Forstner bit to remove a lot of the interior waste and then carving gouges to work from there. On the outside, I'm using a hand powered planer to remove the bulk of the wood. I sort of put the project aside for a while because other things have taken priority.

Mike

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I did. Out of my price range.

Mike