Thread: Used delta drill press 17-965

Used delta drill press 17-965

Hey guys
    i found a used delta 17-965 drill press on the market place. It looks a little rusted up in the picture but nothing horrible. He was asking $295 but he came down to $225. I was wondering if you guys think it’s worth it and what I should watch out for when I pick it up.
    thanks
    jim

I think that is similar to my drill press. The rust would not be a big issue at that price and take a little elbow grease and time. Check out the start/stop switch, run on the motor and condition of the belts (2) to see how much real use was done, and crank raising/lowering table. Adding an auxiliary drill press table to allow for fence and hold downs and you have a very usable drill press for minimal investment. I would like to have a better drill press but that would mean a $1000 or so investment that cannot be justified at my age and decreasing shop use. My only problem was a broken return spring that I was able to find a replacement for. Use it almost every day often with 3-1/8" Forstner bits to get flat spots on tree sections for turning. The 4-1/2" quill travel is nice for drilling pen blanks.

Thomas pretty well covered it. Check it out ,try it out,buy it,bring it home ,clean it up and enjoy. The price is reasonable if everything checks out.

Thankyou guys
    im going to look at it tomorrow

I'd grab it in a heartbeat at that price. I paid that for a 15" older delta, then totally rebuilt it (aside from the newer motor). the 17" is a beast. Last one you'll ever need.... Randy