Thread: Benchcrafted hardware for Roubo build

Benchcrafted hardware for Roubo build

I will be building some sort of hybrid Roubo bench and am trying to decide between the Benchcrafted Classic leg vice vs Glide leg vise. looking for anyone with experience with either or both.

I love the look of the classic but it looks like the glide might be a little more user friendly in that it doesn't appear to stick out from the bench as much and the placement of the three knobs essentially guarantees easy to grab no matter the position of the wheel, obviously the classic will provide more leverage but I don't think it matters both appear to provide plenty with very little effort. I will also be using their tail vise.

Granted this is being a little nit picky because I think both will exceed my expectations but hey, I have been waiting 30yrs to build a proper bench....

Thanks in advanced, Mark

One of the advantages to the glide is the ability to spin the handle, with just a finger, because it moves so smoothly. You’re not going to be able to do so with the classic handle. Much nicer when you need to move the vise jaws over some distance. And with the vise having such a tenacious grip, you definitely don’t need the leverage offered by the Classic.

Clint

Have you looked at the Hovarter Leg Vise? I'm seriously considering it over the Benchcrafted for the bench I'm planning. I really like the quick release feature much better.
    https://www.hovartercustomvise.com/

You might post this question in the Neanderthal forum. They’ll have loads of opinions about Roubo benches. You can also use SMC’s Search function inside that forum, and find many threads about benches intended for hand tool use.

I have checked it out, much prefer the screw over this contraption plus the Benchcrafted opens an closes fast enough. Also something seamed a little fishy in the Hovarter video did you notice when he clamps a board in the wide position he doesn't really do anything with it? I suspect there is a torquing effect on the mechanism that either causes it to loosen or it just doesn't hold well in that position. Maybe someone that has used one can correct me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dixon View Post
    Have you looked at the Hovarter Leg Vise? I'm seriously considering it over the Benchcrafted for the bench I'm planning. I really like the quick release feature much better.
    https://www.hovartercustomvise.com/

Really? The video shows the classic spinning pretty freely and easy, but I do agree to some extent the glide will potentially be better in that aspect. I think the two things that strike me is 1. Will it be in the way, but it really doesn't stick out anymore than traditional leg hardware, I just think the glide will have a slight advantage. 2. Depending where the classic handle lands you may have to reach more than on the glide.

again nit picky but I might learn a thing or two so I like to ask, what we really need is someone to chime in that has experience using the Classic...
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 06-23-2019 at 6:50 PM.

I have the glide. I have never used the classic. Forget about the leverage question - it's a non issue. I can't imagine needing more force than the glide provides. It is essentially a quick release vice. The videos are spot on if you do your part on the install, it is effortless to operate. As far as looks, that's up to you, but you can still make a very fine looking bench with either. I used a nice 16/4 cherry slab for my vice chop. I just don't see how you can go wrong with the glide. You do give up some convenience and speed with the classic. I actually use my tail vice much more than the leg vice so I could probably like either one.

I am happy with the classic - it is very smooth, spins easily. I just like the look.