Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a new microwave

Blog Entries
    Dave,
    I'm a big fan of the encoder knob. Our microwave is really easy to use.

There's an "add 30 seconds" button. I push that to get cooking started. Then there is a knob that I can use to increase or reduce the time. If I want a minute, I skip the knob and just push the 30 second button twice. The knob is smart enough that as the time increases the number of seconds represented by one click on the knob increases also.

When I'm setting the clock, I push set time button and use the encoder knob to set the time. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    As to inverter tech: We've had a countertop Panasonic 1200w inverter unit for about 3 years. The inverter thing is the bomb. 30% power is literally 30% power, NOT full power for 3 seconds then 7 seconds 0 power... it does make a difference!
    Very good to know. Thanks! I figured as much but it’s good to hear from an experienced user.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Dave,
    I'm a big fan of the encoder knob. Our microwave is really easy to use.

There's an "add 30 seconds" button. I push that to get cooking started. Then there is a knob that I can use to increase or reduce the time. If I want a minute, I skip the knob and just push the 30 second button twice. The knob is smart enough that as the time increases the number of seconds represented by one click on the knob increases also.

When I'm setting the clock, I push set time button and use the encoder knob to set the time. Easy.
    What the heck is an encoder knob? Now I feel like I need one but don’t know what it is. And believe me this is not the first time I’ve felt this way.

Are you from the future?

Very good experience with Panasonic. We used them in the lab where they got probably 10X the usage they would have gotten in a home and they held up fine through many years of use. Quieter than some others, as well.

Blog Entries
    On the other hand, I went through 2 Panasonics in less than 10 years.

When our older Panasonic gave up the ghost last year, I purchased a new one...just a hair larger than the previous model, but with the same essential button arrangement. Very satisfied.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just buy a $50 unit, use it till it stops.
    Never put much thought into it. I just use one to heat things up not so much to cook.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

We’ve owned a Panasonic over the range inverter one for 5 years.

I really like the unit, the variable power is very handy.....Rod

Another satisfied Panasonic inverter owner here. We've had ours for about 3 years now. As others have pointed out the evenness of the reduced power settings is noticeable. Once the correct settings are determined you can reheat dishes containing viscous liquids (gravy etc.) with little or no spatter and cook high protein liquids (oatmeal, grits) without foam overs. Thawing frozen foods is more even too.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Very much appreciate all the input from everyone.

We decided to go with Panasonic with inverter tech and hope we avoid the dreaded H98 error code we read about in the reviews.

A very good chat- Thanks!

I didn't know about the inverter microwave until I read about it here. I hate how say 50% will still blast the food at full power. The food will snap and crackle while the power is on and then nothing while the power is off. I just figured all microwaves do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    What the heck is an encoder knob? Now I feel like I need one but don’t know what it is. And believe me this is not the first time I’ve felt this way.

Are you from the future?
    its a knob. Our microwave is a
    GE model pvm9215sk1ss

my feeling is that we are naturally wired for an analog world. Maybe that makes me an anachronism but I’m much more comfortable with an analog input than a digital one. The main control on our microwave is a single knob that takes on different roles depending on what you are doing. Setting the clock? Use the knob. Setting cook level? Knob. Setting the cook time? Knob. Setting the timer? Knob.

for me the other end of the spectrum are those control pads with about a thousand buttons.