Thread: The Harlequin side table: legs

The Harlequin side table: legs

The case was completed last time ...

... but before the drawer dividers can be permanently installed, the legs need to be made and attached.

This was the original drawing ...

Some has been retained and some has been changed.

Instead of curved legs, which I later decided did not match the overall style, I decided on round, tapered legs that will splay out from the case.

Before turning the legs, the splay was created by tapering the top of the legs on the table saw. The slider uses a Fritz and Frans jig to rip the end at the chosen angle (8 degrees). This ensured that the splay angle would be the same for all legs.

The blanks were then turned to shape. Here I am checking that the near-to-finished legs are the same dimensions and have the same taper angle ...

The ends were then cut off and the top was shaped with rasps and sandpaper ...

How to attach the legs? Well, that had given me a real headache. I was thinking along the lines of a loose tenon ... overcomplicating matters (as usual). A number suggested simply glueing and screwing. I was skeptical, but of course, a glue joint alone is generally stronger than the wood ... and reason prevailed

There are three screws per leg, which were countersunk for the drawers. The glue chosen was Titebond III.

All cleaned up, this is what we have (drumroll) ...

The splay to the side is 8 degree, and from the sides, the legs are aligned with the front and rear of the case.

Drawers next

Regards from Perth

Derek

What fun! The legs give it a lively and playful energy and strong connection to mid-century roots.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks Chris. I am aiming for fun.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I like the table Derek. The leg shape is nice and goes very well with the piece. The splay from the side looks great. I had to look at it a few times from the front. I think the splay looks a little too much from the front. The drawers may help that a bit. It may be from the camera also. I like the idea of the screws for the legs also. Very nice piece of work.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    One fun thought came to mind. The first image with the legs in place could be saying, "take me to your leader."

It is looking great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)