Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooray for Home Depot! HD for the save!

Hooray for Home Depot! HD for the save!

So - I'm making some drawers for a kitchen project.
    I messed up and only allowed 1/2" total for the slides instead of 1/2" per side. Shame on me.

After much thought and cursing myself - I ran to Home Depot to find a solution.
    I came to the conclusion it would me far easier to buy a Makita cordless 3 3/8" circular saw.
    ( I picked the Makita instead of the 12 V Milwaukee - mistakenly thinking the Makita was 18 V).

I plan to cut 1/4" off each side of the face frame opening for the drawers.

I get to the checkout and the cashier rings it up - $79.95 - and says "Would you like to open a Home Depot account and pay a penny for this"?
    I ask he if that's $79.00 off & she says it is!

I can't say "YES", fast enough!
    I open the account and she gives me a cash register slip with the account number on it.
    I take the saw out to the car and unpack it.
    It was then that I notice it's a 12 V and not 18 V. Oh well, no biggie,I'll just get a battery for it.
    Back I go and use my new account to get a 4A 12 V battery $59.00)- - again mistakenly thinking the 12 V will fit my 18 V charger (it doesn't).

I go home and returned this morning to get a 12 V charger.
    As luck would have it,,,,I can't find the slip with the account number anywhere. I search high and low and - nada.

I pick up the charge ($69.00 for charger and battery) and check out - - and again - the same cashier as yesterday asks, "Would you like $60.00 off the price if you open a Home Depot account"?.
    I laugh and tell her she got me yesterday.

"No problem", she says, "You can open three accounts"!
    Again - couldn't say yes fast enough.

So - thanks to Home Depot - I managed to get a 12 V Makita 3 3/8" saw, a 4.0 A battery and a 2.0 A battery and charger for - $$68.95.
    It would have only been $9.95 had I not messed up and bought the 4.0 A battery - but - so what, I'll use it at some point.

Not too happy taking the hard inquiry on the credit score at this particular time, but, I saved a total of $79. plus $60.00 on the tool - just to fix my mistake,
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Nothing is free! Glad you fixed your problem though.

Cancel the HD cards on their website once you pay them off. It's pretty easy.
    So far I haven't gotten offers as good as you have to open an additional account, so I haven't, but it seems many folks do. One guy I work with got a big grill and saved quite a bit of $$$$ by playing heir game. Another saved big time on one of their lawn tractors.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Also, if you have a Menards in your area you can get 11% back. You do need the receipt though, because you use that number to get it. They then send you a gift card in the amount. Dan

NOTE: Menard's 11% off deals are cyclical - usually once about every 4-6 weeks. Not every day/every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    So - I'm making some drawers for a kitchen project.
    I messed up and only allowed 1/2" total for the slides instead of 1/2" per side. Shame on me.

After much thought and cursing myself - I ran to Home Depot to find a solution.
    I came to the conclusion it would me far easier to buy a Makita cordless 3 3/8" circular saw.
    ( I picked the Makita instead of the 12 V Milwaukee - mistakenly thinking the Makita was 18 V).

I plan to cut 1/4" off each side of the face frame opening for the drawers.

I get to the checkout and the cashier rings it up - $79.95 - and says "Would you like to open a Home Depot account and pay a penny for this"?
    I ask he if that's $79.00 off & she says it is!

I can't say "YES", fast enough!
    I open the account and she gives me a cash register slip with the account number on it.
    I take the saw out to the car and unpack it.
    It was then that I notice it's a 12 V and not 18 V. Oh well, no biggie,I'll just get a battery for it.
    Back I go and use my new account to get a 4A 12 V battery $59.00)- - again mistakenly thinking the 12 V will fit my 18 V charger (it doesn't).

I go home and returned this morning to get a 12 V charger.
    As luck would have it,,,,I can't find the slip with the account number anywhere. I search high and low and - nada.

I pick up the charge ($69.00 for charger and battery) and check out - - and again - the same cashier as yesterday asks, "Would you like $60.00 off the price if you open a Home Depot account"?.
    I laugh and tell her she got me yesterday.

"No problem", she says, "You can open three accounts"!
    Again - couldn't say yes fast enough.

So - thanks to Home Depot - I managed to get a 12 V Makita 3 3/8" saw, a 4.0 A battery and a 2.0 A battery and charger for - $$68.95.
    It would have only been $9.95 had I not messed up and bought the 4.0 A battery - but - so what, I'll use it at some point.

Not too happy taking the hard inquiry on the credit score at this particular time, but, I saved a total of $79. plus $60.00 on the tool - just to fix my mistake,
    Good for you Rich. I have several Home Depot credit cards and I received the same offers and courtesies as you when I opened them. I have also taken advantage of the Home Depot offers for no interest for 6 months on several of my larger purchases. Most people don't know this, but when you cancel a credit card it can adversely effect your FICO credit score. If you decide that you don't want them anymore, it is better to just hold on to them and not use them.
    David

Yeah - Menards rebates and sales rock. They also have their Big Card that gives you 2% back on every purchase in addition to the other discounts & sale prices.
    When the bill comes it has coupons in it!

Lowes has their consumer charge card that discounts every purchase by 5%.

Cancel the HD cards on their website once you pay them off. It's pretty easy.
    I've heard it's best to just toss the card in a drawer and let them close the account for non-use. Closing accounts you don't use goes against your credit score if you initiate the closure.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

What I just said Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Most people don't know this, but when you cancel a credit card it can adversely effect your FICO credit score. If you decide that you don't want them anymore, it is better to just hold on to them and not use them.
    David
    They also bite you the other way. When you apply for a large purchase, the lender considers how many open credit cards you have - even if $0 balance. The way it was explained to me, even though you don't have a balance on 3 open cards, you COULD go out tomorrow and charge each of them up to their limit. That impacts your debt vs income and thereby potentially increases the lender's risk. There are factors and variables here, like the magnitude of your income and how much you are trying to borrow. But it sure looks to me like the MBA's have all the angles figured.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I quit using credit cards, or really credit for anything. I don't even want a credit score. I know you can make a few percent return, but we've had too much trouble with hacking, and fraudulent charges, that I just don't want to think about it. Keeping a low, or next to nothing balance is fine until someone hacks it, then you might not believe how much trouble that can lead to. We had several with high limits, and no balances that were hacked, and I ended up going to court on a couple of them to ever get it cleared up. I hope my credit score is really low now.

Most people don't know this, but when you cancel a credit card it can adversely effect your FICO credit score. If you decide that you don't want them anymore, it is better to just hold on to them and not use them.
    David
    Cancelling a card can hurt your score because it increases the percentage of your available credit that you're using. But opening new accounts can also hurt your score.

The "special deals" various retailers offer to encourage you to open a credit card account are great, as long as you're not planning to take out a serious loan (e.g., a mortgage or a car loan) in the near future. If you are, the $50 or $100 you save when you open the account could be eaten up pretty quickly by the higher interest rate you'll pay on the serious​ loan.

Good for the OP in getting a great deal...

But I can not help but remember that as a for profit enterprise, if HD loses in one way, it must make up the difference in another way. So we all end up paying more over time...including the OP.

Personally I have more credit cards than I really need. Always decline offers like the HD one for that reason. Although I do not care about it, my credit rating is in the high exceptional range.

I use one card exclusively. Pays 2% cash back. That adds up over a year. Use it for utilities and everything else, and even home and car insurance. Price would be the same if I wrote a check. I’ll happily take 2% on everything I spend in a year, for the most part.

Edit: I do realize that by paying with a credit card that also drives up prices. BUT as an example I recently ordered a load of crushed limestone. Price was about $680. I asked about payment. Price was the same check or credit card. So I could get about $14 returned to me by using the credit card. And save a check as well. (Checks are free so that did not matter...)

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 06-23-2019 at 6:48 PM. Reason: add thought
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

BE AWARE

I discovered that some purchases like "Lotteries" trigger the account to start charging interest on the entire outstanding balance and the account will charge interest for two cycles on the highest monthly balance even if the account is paid in full. So buy your lottery tickets with cash.

Once again, you guys are over-thinking this. Just like any other credit card company, Home Depot relies on the fact that may of the card holders will not pay off their balance each month. This results in the Home Depot interest rate being applied (and accrued) to the unpaid balance. If you pay off the credit card balance every month, you will not be subjected to this fee. This interest fee could be in the range of from 20 to 30 percent of more. If you pay off the entire credit card balance when it is due, then none of these fees would apply to you. So - this is a "numbers game". Once you have a Home Depot credit card (or any other credit card) and you don't want to use it anymore, the best thing to do is just put in the drawer and don't use it . If you close it out, this will adversely effect your FICO credit score much more than having this additional line of credit.
    David

Once again, you guys are over-thinking this. Once you have a Home Depot credit card (or any other credit card) and you don't want to use it anymore, the best thing to do is just put in the drawer and don't use it . If you close it out, this will adversely effect your FICO credit score much more than having this additional line of credit.
    David
    I mean no offence in any way here David. Are you in the credit reporting or the lending business, or are these your personal observations? I ask because my experience as a Consumer is different than what you've said here. But like I said earlier, I know there are multiple factors involved in how this works.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-24-2019 at 6:54 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”