Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor Fittings Questions...

Compressor Fittings Questions...

I'm a bit confused about high flow fittings and couplers. I can find high flow couplers and plugs, however it's tuff to find hoses, with high flow fittings. If the fittings on the hose aren't high flow, then doesn't that defeat the purpose of high flow couplers and plugs? I tried to find barbed high flow fittings to replace the OEM fittings on hoses, however those are also tuff to find.
    Specifically, I'm looking for a 3/8 hose with high flow 3/8 fittings and also, 1/4 npt with 3/8 barbed ends to replace the OEM hose fittings.

You may just have to buy some high flow fittings to fit the 3/8" hose and cut off what is now there.
    I just went to 1/2" hose and high flow fittings .

I can tell you what I do. I buy hoses with no fittings (just 3/8" NPT Male treads mostly) and then buy Milton V Style fittings in boxes of 10.

I buy 1/4" NPT to V Style-male for my air tools. I buy 3/8" NPT to V Style-female for my hoses.

Be aware to you have 2 "genders" going on on each fitting to you have to be aware when the item is referring to the thread v the fittings.

Some of my hoses have an ID measurement that is less than the "bore" of my V Style fittings. Most of my tools have a 1/4" NPT port on the end of the tool. None of this discourages me in the least. I want as much "large volume" hose as I can get and I don't fuss over some bottlenecks in my system on the tool side. A gas under pressure is fairly dynamic with regard to overcoming obstacles.

I like Lincoln hoses (The heavy red ones with 1/2" fittings if possible) for blasting and impact wrenching (I moved up from Goodyear yellow). I like Flexzilla neon green hoses for die grinding and air drilling - the green hose is more flexible for me. To outfit a small compressor you need 4 fittings. 1 on the compressor out. 2 on each end of the hose. 1 on the tool. You can see how this gets expensive quickly.

Some time ago a major online retailer who's name begins with A was selling boxes of the Milton fittings for the same price I was seeing individual fittings for locally. I stocked up during that sale.

Flexilla hoses with 3/8 ends part numbers end in W3. with 1/4" ends the part number ends in W2. No trouble finding the 1/4 NPT with any size hose barb end. I believe even Ace Hardware has those. "high flow" is usually talking about 3/8 NPT ends for 3/8 hose, but whether it says high flow or not, 3/8" is.

Well, here's a for-instance...I bought a reel with 3/8 hose and 1/4 NPT male ends. The 1/4 NPT ends have a tiny ID, so I was hoping to just replacing them with high flow. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding 1/4 NPT, 3/8 barb, in high flow.

I just ran and took a picture for this (I hope this pic blows up enough to be of use).

HighFlow.jpg

In my example picture I have a 1/2" Flexzilla hose (Note this hose has 3/8" ends). I have tried to photograph the boxes in a completely artificial setup to show what parts are used where because I wish someone had done this for me when I was getting kitted up. Couplers and Plugs is Milton's nomenclature so I will attempt to use that henceforth.

To setup this hose I will need (as pictured):
    1 x 3/8" FNPT Coupler and 1 x 3/8" FNPT Plug

For an air tool I would need (also pictured):
    1 x 1/4" MNPT Plug.

I have left out a compressor setup - that would be one more Coupler in whatever size and gender is available on the output of your compressor or shop plumbing.

Note: Milton V Couplers let "A" (normal) air tools plug in. This lets your buddy bring over his tools. But your tools once setup with V will not work with normal flow fittings. This prevents your buddy from borrowing your tools - all positive as far as I can tell.

Note: I do not represent Milton, Flexzilla, Lincoln or receive any kind of sponsorship or consideration for influencing people. Its a sad state that our public internet is in that I have even say this.
    Last edited by Devon Prescott; 06-21-2019 at 6:48 PM.

Derek,

I think the part numbers for a 1/4" FNPT V Style High Flow Coupler is #764. The Plug end would be 1/4" FNPT Female V-Style High Flow Plug, (Brass) part #761 (From the Milton web site).

I found 2 different retailers with them in stock in singles and five packs with a quick google on the parts and product Long Text. In my town I used to get these at Northern Tool but they didn't always have every gender in stock.

I think all the Flexilla 1/4" npt ends have about as large as possible inside I.D. Their replacement ends don't fit every other hose brand though. They come on their hoses. Those ends are not simply hose barb to npt. The adaptors go inside the hose, and expand it. Then another part screws onto that. It would suit me if all my hoses were Flexilla, but I have some that were made before I ever heard that name brand.

There are some coupler styles that work with several different other styles, but I never bothered to keep up with what works with what. I use H style, which is a high flow, and keep extra plugs in 3/8" and 1/4" NPT that will fit in almost anything. My 3/4" impact wrench uses 3/8. Some of my larger nail guns use 3/8's, but anything else I can think of uses 1/4".

All my 3/8", and 1/2" hoses have 3/8 NPT ends, and my 1/4" hoses 1/4" NPT. Even the 20 lb. rock drill runs fine with the 1/2" hose, and 3/8" ends
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-21-2019 at 7:02 PM.

Thanks for the pic. I've already got some Milton couplers and plugs. My problem is, I have a hose reel with non-Milton ends and the difference is amazing. At any rate, I'm looking for replacement Milton plugs that are 1/4 NPT and 3/8 barb. Actually, they don't even have to be Milton, just high flow. I also need 3/8 NPT with 3/8 barb.

I found the PNs (above) for the 1/4" Milton parts for you if that helps. I gave away all of my 1/4" after I ran my first grinder on Hi-flow fittings with a larger hose.

I have had some success finding reels on warehouse deals and damaged freight auction houses (most of those sell on a large auction site). I end up with good brand (Big) reels that have dings, bends, and "issues. Everyone grabs the Cox reels fast but Lincoln is better built for my money and none of the regular people seem to know it (yet). I have never paid full price for a reel yet.

Probably no one calls any 1/4" NPT high flow. The Flexilla ends have the largest inside I.D. that I have noticed. I remember wishing that they came with hose barb ends.

OH! You are plotting to retro fit a fixed hose without threaded ends at all?

I would start with Zoro PN: G1502916 for that.

But, yes the small ID of that coupler and the smaller hose are going to cut into the Hi-flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Devon Prescott View Post
    OH! You are plotting to retro fit a fixed hose without threaded ends at all?

I would start with Zoro PN: G1502916 for that.

But, yes the small ID of that coupler and the smaller hose are going to cut into the Hi-flow.
    Devon, is that a high flow? It doesn't say whether it has a larger high flow ID or not.

Nope, its a boring old barb to 1/4" NPT - you would then need the Milting fittings after that.

I don't think you can do it all with one fitting - at least I have never seen one.
    PN_G1502916.JPG
    Last edited by Devon Prescott; 06-21-2019 at 8:56 PM.

Derek,
    Here is some information from another of your threads (see link below). I'm not sure if my hose connectors are "high flow" or not. I have mostly SpeedAire style connectors purchased from Grainger many years ago. In any case, I use 3/8" air hose that does have the 1/4" NPT ends installed. Although the hole may look small, this setup has been sufficient for all my work. My compressor is 7.5 HP rated at 24 cfm. I run glass beaders (sand blaster), spray guns, air tools, cnc tool changers, etc. with no problems due to lack of air supply. Do you have a specific application that will demand very high cfm over and above those I have listed? I am just curious, because I don't think I ever remember seeing a discussion about "high flow" vs "regular flow" air couplers before.
    David

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....onfusion-HELP!

air hose connectors.jpg