Thread: Poor Finish on New Byrd Head in DW735 vs 15" Planer with Byrd Head

Poor Finish on New Byrd Head in DW735 vs 15" Planer with Byrd Head

I have a DW735 and also had a Grizzly 15" with Byrd cutterhead in it and remember the cut quality was fantastic with the Byrd head no matter what direction I planed. I unfortunately sold that planer a few years ago as I wasn't do much woodworking and just kept my DW735. A couple months ago I purchased the OEM size Byrd head for the Dewalt planer and not that impressed with cut quality as I think something may be wrong. The finish on both the quartersawn white oak test board as well as fairly straight grained poplar leaves a finish with some tear out and fuzziness (rough finish).

I will note that the inserts had to be completely removed and reinstalled on this OEM size head in order for it to be installed in the planer, could it be me not re-installing the inserts correctly? It is safe to assume the screws won't sit perfectly in the recess of the cutter when fully set as they are in my jointer?

I did meticulously examine and check each surface to make sure nothing everything was clean as well as use a torque wrench. I even followed the instructions and kept the cutter away from the back section of the cutter head to make sure it torqued down flat on the surface of the cutter head.

I just think its strange that the surface is so poor and there isn't a specific area where I can see one cutter leaving a poorer finish than the other. Essentially, its the same surface one wood get if they planed or jointed a surface with dull straight knives. I checked each insert, however, they are all razor sharp. In addition, the finish on new knives on my Dewalt planer left a great finish - it was the longevity of the blades which led me down this path as well as having great experience with Byrd heads on both my previous planer and current jointer as well as a friends with positive experience.

I also left a message with Byrd but curious if anyone has seen this on either their DW735 Byrd head or another Byrd head on another machine.

I would also be curious if those that installed the OEM size Byrd head on their DW735 where they had to remove and replace their inserts are having superior results than me...

I don’t have anything positive for you.
    I do miss having the 735. I put infinity carbide tipped knives in it. It was the best finish planer I could hope for.
    I use a pm 15hh and experience some of what you describe. Mostly tear back on softer woods. I have knives in my jointer and often use it to clean up the mess the brydhead leaves me with.
    If we’re only using barnwood or painted reclaimed stuff I’d probably be happier.
    Good Luck
    Aj

The DeWalt planer head is significantly smaller diameter vs the 15" head, I bet. So the angle that it cuts into the grain is steeper. Even with a shear cut, there will be more tearout. The big industrial planer heads do an amazing job @ 5" or so diameter.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    The DeWalt planer head is significantly smaller diameter vs the 15" head, I bet. So the angle that it cuts into the grain is steeper. Even with a shear cut, there will be more tearout. The big industrial planer heads do an amazing job @ 5" or so diameter.
    Thats a good point...hopefully I find out Monday when Byrd reaches back to me
    T

I know this doesn't help, but I was very satisfied with the super smooth cut of the Shelix Byrd cutter head in my old DW735.

I did install the cutter head myself. I did not have to remove the carbide cutter inserts to do this.

My installation of the OEM head went smoothly and I am happy with the results although not near as smooth as the original straight blades. Byrd sent me the OEM as a replacement for the smaller diameter head that left grooves and ridges. They were very easy to work with. Good luck!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I installed the OEM-sized Shelix head in my DW735 and have been pleased with the results. Granted, the initial finish with a fresh set of knives typically gave a slightly better result, it would not last long.

I rotated cutters in my Jet helix head jointer just to even out wear. When I reinstalled them, there was at least one that seemed not to seat properly in its spot. I went back and checked all of them and, after reinstalling a couple that didn't seem to seat properly the finish improved,

I know my answer isn't about the helical head in your Dewalt ;planer, but I think it's possible that there might be a couple of cutters which didn't get seated just as they were from the factory when you reinstalled them. I think that this could cause the finish to be less that you expected.

Blog Entries
    Poor seating during insert rotation seems to plague some folks. Care and routine process yields a reliable result. Improper seating will generally leave a specific pattern-like problem. If your tear out is random (like the grain patterns that cause it) I imagine it is not an insert installation problem.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 for my experience. My money is on the cutter head reinstall. My 735/shelix still humming along with great surface finish especially when feed rate is set to slow.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I know this doesn't help, but I was very satisfied with the super smooth cut of the Shelix Byrd cutter head in my old DW735.

I did install the cutter head myself. I did not have to remove the carbide cutter inserts to do this.