Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Brick as veneer over cinder block chimmney

Roger, I would guess that it saves a lot of cleanup, because you're going to make a mess below any kind of way you do it.

Also from the top you will know it matches correctly with existing brick.

I apologize for the late reply. This web page went intoa a different display, and I could not see past post 13.

Tom, I thought digging down 42 inches and pouring cement was adding too much hard work to the job. But maybe not. I am supposed to lay the corner pieces first,and use those to lay the rows off of. 300 dollars for 100 corners is a lot of money though.
    If I started at the bottom I could let the first few rows set and use strips of wood to support the nest few courses. When I got to the top I would have to alter the last few rows to get the top course in the right place.
    I will look into getting the special thinset Roger recommends to help with the tiles sliding.

Bob, My mother lived in Norristown, and I worked at Tube Methods in Bridgeport right next door many years ago. I grew up in that area of Montgomery County. Small World.

Yeah, I don't think in terms of footings 42" deep. Here we only have to go down a foot, and the ground never freezes anything like that deep.