When my house was built, the exterior chimney, which is about 7-8 feet wide, as it is a double flue chimney, for an oil furnace and fireplace, was built with cinder blocks from the ground up to about 7 feet and then the rest is red brick.

The reason was because a garage was supposed to be attached to to the side of the house, and you would not see the cinder blocks from the outside.

I can buy red brick that is used like a veneer and would be attached to the cinder block to look like a complete red brick chimney.

I would buy thin set or use the correct cement to face the cinder block like a stucco, and then butter the red brick veneer with thin set and apply it to the stuccoed chimney.

My concern is that over time, will the red brick veneer fall off with the freeze thaw cycles that New England has.

Any advice from anyone with experience in doing cement work that could advise me would be greatly appreciated.

Some may say that this sounds like a job for an experienced mason, but I feel capable, as worse comes to worse I would just put a thin layer of cement over the cinder block with a color additive if the red brick veneer sounds undoable and not recommended.