Thread: Installing Wilton WW Vise on Older Bench

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Installing Wilton WW Vise on Older Bench

Hey All,

I would like to install a new Wilton 79A Woodworkers vice on to my bench. The bench is an older Diefenbach European bench that I bought through Woodcraft about 20 years ago. Just before Diefenbach imploded - this is a really nice bench. It has an end vise and a main non-rapid action wooden faced vise over the leg at the left hand end of the bench. I would like to upgrade that vice to a really beautiful Wilton 79A. To avoid the leg, I need to move the Wilton vise in from the end some distance. I will also need to build out the underside to bring it flush with the bottom of the apron, so I have a surface to attach the vise. No problems there.

What I am at a loss to do however, is cover up the old vise holes. The old existing vise has three main guides that are the main part of the vise, and then a fourth rail that is a wracking adjust. So I will have three or possibly all four holes remaining after I remove the old vise and add the Wilton. Would you just leave them there (lame), cover them, fill them somehow, or enlarge them and use them as a small wine rack?

Seriously - I don't know what to do about the old holes. Anyone have a similar problem? Let me know what you might have done - I am open to all ideas. Thanks folks!

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Beaulieu; 06-20-2019 at 2:28 PM.