Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello...I am new here and need some help.

Hello...I am new here and need some help.

Hello,

I am in the market to purchase a lathe and start to learn turning.
    I would like to make wood balls. Please tell me what is a good
    lathe without spending a ton of money.

Is anything under $1000 okay, or am I kidding myself and need to spend more.
    Thank you,
    Richard

It really depends on what size balls you want to make. If smallish, you could go with a mini or midi lathe. There are several midi's that are nice machines for $600-$900. You also will get sticker shock at the price of the tooling . Chucks and accessories can be pricey. I would start my search on CL or some other forum to see what is used before buying new, especially with a limited budget. Turning can be a vortex as they say, and if you let it suck you in, can cost you a ton of money. Many jigs can be shop made if you are so inclined, but things like sphere jigs can be costly.
    Good luck with your search.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Tools chucks and accessories are often a bigger financial investment than the lathe. Frankly, figure about 40% of you investment for the lathe. Some lathes are relatively cheap and can do everything a beginner can do and more. Some are exceptionally well built with bells and whistles and easily run a month's pay. For a beginner, The two current harbor freight lathes are pretty fair quality for the price, but both, especially the smaller one, have disadvantages and limitations. a large lathe can turn small stuff, but a small lathe cannot do large stuff. It would be nice to have a $7,000 lathe and another $5,000 in accessories, but, it is way overkill for the turning I do. If at all possible join a turning club and try to get exposure to several lathes. Variable speed is nice, but excellent pieces have been turned and produced on more primitive lathes for a few millennia already. Don't skimp on the tools. ie don't get the $29.00 wonder turning chisel set. Three or four good tools can do far more and last longer than a 12 piece $29.00 set. One of the more intimidating parts of beginning turning is sharpening the tools. You will need a method and tools to sharpen them. A skew or scraper can be easy, a fine 40-40 grind on a bowl gouge, is another story altogether. Many like carbide tools. I don't, but there are a great many folks who swear by them. You don't have to sharpen carbide, just turn the tip and eventually replace it.

Welcome to the forum, Richard!

Deciding on the first lathe is hard - there are so many choices! You say you want to turn wooden balls. Do you have a size in mind? Most of what are call "mini lathes" will work fine. I keep a couple of Jet minis to carry places and if I need an extra lathe in the shop when someone comes. These lathes will turn up to a 10" round which would be pretty big for a wood sphere! Perfect for baseball size down to marble size though.

You can sometimes find used lathes for a very reasonable price. I paid less than $200 for one of my mini lathes (with no stand). $500 or so will get you a new mini lathe - a lot of people like the Rikon that will turn (swing) up to 12" diameter. Many, many people start with a small lathe and then replace it with a larger lathe when they discover how much they love turning wood! Some are happy with the small lathe.

Spending more money can get you a larger lathe with more power and the ability to turn larger things. You can still turn very small things on a big lathe and with the advantages of heavier and more solid construction and smooth variable speed. For my primary lathe I use a Powermatic with a 20" swing. I rarely turn anything that big but the lathe will handle anything from tiny to large.

In between the mini and the full-sized lathes are many choices. Sometimes these are called "midi" lathes but that's a loose classification. But one of these might blow your initial budget. One thing that would really help is to try out some different lathes. If you go to a woodturning club in your area I can guarantee there will be people who will gladly let you try their lathes. You don't mention where you live but if you are anywhere near East Tennessee stop by and you can try three different sized lathes in my shop.

Joining a club and talking and visiting other turners will also give you an idea of what you need in addition to the lathe. The amount you can spend on accessories is almost limitless! Realistically, to turn small spheres you probably will need a basic chuck and a couple of tools, probably $300 minimum. Depending on the tools, you will need a bench grinder for sharpening.

You can always start with the minimum and add tools later.

As for specific recommendations on tools to turn spheres, a Nova G3 chuck, a parting tool, and a spindle gouge (and a way to sharpen it) will get you started for about $300. Instead of a spindle gouge, a Hunter Hercules or Osprey or Viceroy tool will let you turn many things without having to learn how to sharpen (these have razor-sharp replaceable cutters that never need sharpening.) Trying various tools is another good reason to join a turning club and visit some turners! Many of us have spare and used tools for loaners or give-away to get started.

Hey, how about tiny spheres. Here are some I made a long time ago and the tool I used - a piece of steel pipe! (I called it a "tube gouge" but technically it's a scraper instead of a gouge.)

tube_gouge.jpg

Here is one I turned from white oak using a spindle gouge.

sphere_soren_berger_method.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rizzolo View Post
    Hello,

I am in the market to purchase a lathe and start to learn turning.
    I would like to make wood balls. Please tell me what is a good
    lathe without spending a ton of money.

Is anything under $1000 okay, or am I kidding myself and need to spend more.
    Thank you,
    Richard

Try to find the nearest club. There are listings through the AAW (American Assn. of Woodturners) or you can just google it. You can probably find a good used one and tools for less than brand new. Most clubs have mentors as well.

robo hippy

I'm with going in the used lathe direction. Just recently there was 2 Jet Minis for sale for 3 and 400 bucks, with some tooling. I think for small stuff the Jet mini is a great lathe. I have 2. I would have bought that 300 dollar one just because it was a good deal, but money is a bit tight at this time......
    Yes, find a turning club nearby. The members may have a used lathe that they may want to sell, and many of them will take you in and let you turn. I got a 12" Rikon from a fellow club member, we upgrade all the time. Where are you located?

Thank you very much....this is a great bunch of guys...I really appreciate the help...

Perry,
    Thank you so much for all the info...
    Richard

John,

I really appreciate all you info and help...thank you very much.

Richard

Reed,

Yes...I will try and find a club...thank you so much...

Richard

Kyle,
    Thank you for the information, it is very helpful....
    Richard

I live in West Palm Beach, Florida...about 60 miles north of Miami...

I purchased the Nova Comet II a couple of years ago when I started turning. It's capacity would be 12" (although I think it does best no more than 10" bowls). It has been a great beginning lathe for me and, unless I go to much larger bowls, I don't think I would necessarily even need to upgrade to a larger lathe. I bought mine for about $550 when it was on sale, which included the G3 chuck with jaws, which is a great chuck, especially for bowls. I'm not really sure what is required to turn balls as I've never done that.

When you say balls how big are we talking about? Are you talking small ones or something larger like a croquet ball? What are your plans for the balls? I've never made a ball but I've seen it done. If you watched videos on how to make them without a jig just remember that the people doing it have been turning for some time. I've watched hacks like using a drill press with a lathe but I don't think you'll be happy with the results. You can get there but making a perfectly round ball does take some skill. If you decide to speed things up you can easily spend half of what your budget just on the tools and jig. If you're handy you can make most of what you will need.

I personally think it would be a fun journey learning the skills if you have reason to make balls. Probably the best part is that all you need is a small saw (a cordless sawsall) and access to some medium sized (6" diameter) branches and you would have unlimited practice wood. Just keep your saw in the car and if you saw a down branch you could cut some chunks. Around here the power company is always cutting branches and usually leaves them in firewood sized pieces on the side of the road vs dragging a chipper with them. I don't know how hard it would be to dry the wood without it splitting.

Another option would be to find a woodworking shop. If you are making 4" balls I think you could easily get as many scraps for free that you could glue together to make a cube you could turn into a ball. The key would be to have lots of free wood and time to practice. While I think you could do it within your budget I think you'll find that you are going to want to do so much more that you will want to add more tools, a good grinder to sharpen them, a lathe upgrade, and adding the equipment (bandsaw, cabinet saw, etc.).

I have neither but do a search for Vermec Sphere Turning Jig and Carter Perfect Sphere. (these may take up 1/2 of your budget)

My $0.02.
    You don't NEED a sphere jig. I've turned spheres, all you need is to first turn 2 cup centers, that fit over your spindle and tailstock center. The other side will hold the sphere, so dish those accordingly. Threading the drive side to fit on the spindle is nice, but not necessary, as friction is good enough to finish the sphere. Turn the sphere (rough) as best you can between centers. I turn a cylinder first, measure the diameter, and translate that diameter to the length on the cylinder. This is your sphere dimensions. Turn the sphere. Sounds easy. It is not. Everyone knows what a sphere looks like, so turning an egg shaped sphere is not going to do it. It is by far the hardest object to turn IMO. After the sphere is roughed out turn the ends off as best you can. Put the cup centers on the lathe and clamp in your sphere with the turned off ends vertical. This allows you to turn the other cylinder perfectly, and now you should get a sphere. Right? No, the first time you do this, you will see how your right (left) eye differs from your left (right) eye when turning. Also your skills in going left and right. This is a good time to practice turning with your left (right) non dominant hand. Learning to turn your your non dominant hand will pay benefits long down the line. Good luck!