Thread: Black walnut slabs

Black walnut slabs

Hi, I'm looking to buy some black walnut slabs. Maybe 25-30 inch wide, dried. Could you tell me what would be considered as reasonable market price these days per board feet?
    Many thanks

We need to know your location. Also air dried, kiln dried, surfaced, thickness and length all effect the bf price...

Here's a few options that will give a ballpark figure, provided you're in the US. https://www.woodslabs.com/c-400-black-walnut.aspx

Out here Walnut slabs start at 12 to 13 a board ft. And that’s with cracks even long ones.
    I’m on the west coast.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mikits View Post
    We need to know your location. Also air dried, kiln dried, surfaced, thickness and length all effect the bf price...

I was looking at kiln dried slabs, not surfaced, thank you for your replies!

If you are anywhere near Lafayette IN you can't beat Cassens Lumber. 3 to 10 dollars per bf. Fairly large selection. Only drawback is most of Dan's slabs are in the 8/4 range. Thicker ones are not as available.

Your best bet is to look for a few different sawmills around your state. Give them a ring, and tell them what you're looking for 9 times out of 10, if they don't have anything to offer, they'll let you know who does. Price will vary BIG time depending on where you live. But call up a mill and just be friendly.