Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best sealing tape for metal duct seams

Best sealing tape for metal duct seams

What is the best tape option for sealing joints on spiral pipe seams ? I have used the aluminium adhesive tape made for air ducts in housing with mixed results ,so was wondering if there is a better solution ?

mastic with fiberglass tape embedded in it.

Mike, the aluminum tape will work well if you clean the metal first. There usually is a bit of oil film on the pipe from manufacturing. Mastic with cloth tape is called airballing. Not used too much in the HVAC world anymore. Most companies use a form of duct mastic to seal ducts like spiral pipe. You can usually pickup small quantities at the big box stores.

That metal tape will work fine, but be almost impossible to get off if you ever want to make changes. I use clean release duct tape for our temporary setups in old houses.

I use the metallic tape. Yes, it's harder to remove for changes, but they don't happen often and that extra "stick" helps with the sealing. It's also pretty darn strong in my experience. I stopped using pop rivets/screws except in places where there might be exceptional stress. Mike is correct that the surface should be clean and oil free for best results. The
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Go to the Nashua tape site and look at all the options. They make a foil tape with an embedded mesh that is excellent. I thing it is 4" wide tape. Most "duct" tapes are good for everything but what they are named for. For permanent installs the suggested mastic with the scrim tape is excellent, but it is tough to do and make it look good...believe me! For that type product look at Hardcast. They have many other options for duct seal as well.

Agreed, the metal tape is awesome.

Thanks for all the replies. The cleaning of the pipe must be my issue on the joints that are not great. I also had two or three different rolls and one was much thicker foil and seemed to stick better. I have also pulled this stuff off and "re-engineered" some of my original work when changing out several machines and duct configurations. Now I am just about done upgrading everything except my planer and looking for a more permanent product.Thanks for the suggestions I will check out the options all of you have posted.

'All done until the next time you change it... LOL
    --

For crying out loud Jim ,could you at least allow me to live in my false sense of accomplishment for a while ? I have been "done" at least 4 times now.

--

I remeber reading years ago about a duct sealing method being invented at Lawence Berkely lab when I worked there. They sealed up all the registers of a house furnace duct system. Then they pumped in a special gas at low pressure. As it leaked out of joints it would turn into a solid and seal the leaks. It had to run for several hours I have no idea what vaporised the glue.
    They do use pressurized smoke to find vacuum leaks in cars. Folks adapt those party fog machines to do this.
    Bil lD

I like the foil tape

Blog Entries
    Foil tape here too. Some like mastic, but to me it just looks like the easy way out.
    NOW you tell me...

Just FYI ... I’ve found that WD-40 (... and a little elbow grease) is pretty effective at removing any adhesive residue left by the metal tape after removal.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry