Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resaw blade

Resaw blade

My 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT has finally bitten the dust (literally, in three pieces). So, before I get another, there is the opportunity to instead get a Laguna Resaw King. These two carbide resaw blades are the top of the pops in my understanding.

I have no direct experience of the Resaw King (or other carbide resaw blades). What are your experiences with this blade, and has anyone compared the Resaw King with the Woodmaster CT?

For reference, using a Hammer N4400.

Regards from Perth

Derek

For re sawing your typical hard, hard Oz woods? Looking for ease/speed of sawing or fine/clean cut (minimal cleanup afterwords) as a preference?
    David

Thanks David. I am looking for recommendations for carbide blades that do this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I had a 1/2" Resaw King on a 14" saw, and that same Woodmaster CT on the 24". Different worlds on those two saws, so not really a fair comparison. I've never heard of anyone running a 1" RK, or never checked to see if they even make one. I can't see wanting to run a thin blade on a saw that will run a WM.

I don't think I would be willing to give up any speed, and ease of cutting that the WM gives, and the surface is plenty good enough for resawing. The quality of cut on the 14" with the RK was about the same as the WM on the 24", but the big combo is 20 times as fast, and that's from timing cutting the same thing.

Derek, I lack your level of expertise and experience but I found the Resaw King blade turned a very low-end Delta band saw into a useful tool for resawing a variety of hard and soft woods. I have no basis for speculating how they would do with Australian woods. But the blade has been fantastic on North American woods.

I just started using the Resaw King on my Felder bandsaw. I have read on several occasions about Resaw Kings that have failed during use

I had a Resaw King fail prematurely a number of years ago, but I believe they have changed the band stock since then; I was also running it on a 17" saw which probably worked the blade excessively. I have a Woodmaster CT on my MM 20 and if it ever fails or wears out, I'll most likely get another one.

I have just ordered another 1" Woodmaster CT. It is available at my local Felder agent right now, and at a decent price (about $100-150 less than a Resaw King). The CT is 1.3tpi, with the RK is 2-3tpi. This is all about speed of cutting, with the CT the faster cutter. If the finish is comparable, then speed and price tips the balance in favour of the Woodmaster CT.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the Resaw King on my 21" Grizzly.

I probably have less total experience than most guys here, but I am thrilled with this blade. The finish is VERY smooth.

Speed doesn't matter to me at all, since I'm a hobbyist.

Since the RK uses high quality carbide, (it can be re-sharpened up to 5X) and is a bit narrower than the CT, I see no reason to even consider the Woodslicer, when replacement time finally comes around.

Of course, the Laguna is a bit more expensive, but that difference is peanuts over the life of the blade.
    Also, the price isn't terrible if you buy direct. For some reason all of the retailers tend to charge more than Laguna, for the same blades. Or at least they did when I bought mine.
    IIRC, I only paid about $200 for my 166" 1.25" RK.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 06-20-2019 at 9:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kirincich View Post
    I just started using the Resaw King on my Felder bandsaw. I have read on several occasions about Resaw Kings that have failed during use

I wonder if that's mostly with small saws, and due to the stress from the extra bend angles?

Gut sense is that Tom's statement about the thickness (and tension) is correct. I believe the WCT is almost half again as thick (.035" compared to .024") as the RK and if the saw can tension that, the combination is superior. I get about a year's life out of the WCT and it is reasonably (imo) priced.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Just for the information, to reshape a115” laguna resaw king is 45 or $48which includes return shipping. So add the shipping to get it there and you are at Apx 1/3 price of new. The one I sent in had so many teeth out they wouldn’t resharpen it but did sell me a blade at discount, I think 15% off and shipping paid. I was cutting chunks for bowl blanks and had metal and rocks in it. If I wouldn’t have wrecked it by being stupid it would still be going. It does a really nice job resawing on a 14” lagunia saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I have the Resaw King on my 21" Grizzly.

I probably have less total experience than most guys here, but I am thrilled with this blade. The finish is VERY smooth.

Speed doesn't matter to me at all, since I'm a hobbyist.

Since the RK uses high quality carbide, (it can be re-sharpened up to 5X) and is a bit narrower than the CT, I see no reason to even consider the Woodslicer, when replacement time finally comes around.

Of course, the Laguna is a bit more expensive, but that difference is peanuts over the life of the blade.
    Also, the price isn't terrible if you buy direct. For some reason all of the retailers tend to charge more than Laguna, for the same blades. Or at least they did when I bought mine.
    IIRC, I only paid about $200 for my 166" 1.25" RK.
    The woodmaster ct i just bought for the same saw was $125 in a 1" width. The 1.25 would be a bit more than id feel comfortable with on that particular saw.

The Woodmaster CT can also be sharpened. I sharpen my own bandsaw blades, and probably sharpened the past CT about 5 times over its lifespan.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Had a 3/4 RK on a 14” Laguna. I was not impressed at all.

Got a 20” MM with a 1” woodmaster ct and it’s a dream by comparison. Not even by comparison it’s just a dream.

As said above maybe not a fair comparison but I’d never buy a RK again..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-21-2019 at 9:51 PM.