Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resaw blade

Derek,

Do you mind explaining your procedure for sharpening your Lenox carbide blade?

Hi Kevin

There are a number of videos on Youtube demonstrating a method, where you touch the back of the tooth with a bench grinder.

My variation is that I use a diamond disk in a Dremel. It must be diamond to sharpen carbide. The blade remains on the bandsaw, and you just touch up each tooth freehand.

This is similar, but with the blade off the bandsaw ..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcDSPNxPW8

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Thanks for that. I have sharpened steel blades that way with a Dremel and will touch up my Woodmaster CT with a diamond disc when the time comes. It's a bit tedious on a 222" blade but less expensive than buying a new one.

I have only run the resaw king on my 20" Laguna. I bought the saw used, and it came with a 1" RK on it. I used it for a bit, and sent it off to get sharpened. After about a year of excellent performance, my uncle wanted me to cut an ancient corbel from his 1890s home. I dont know what was on/in the wood, but it cooked my RK over about 8-10" of cutting. Sent it back out for sharpening. About ten mins after putting the fresh blade on my saw, a ceramic insert came loose and cooked the blade again. I asked Laguna if they would cover a resharpening given the circumstances and they sent me a new blade. I didnt expect it, because my saw is 12 years old, and im not even the original owner. Still, im tickled that i have a brand new RK. On my saw, the blade performs really well. Ive resawed a lot of 18-19.5" tall stuff without an issue or drift. That original blade is from 2006, i believe, and i know ive had it sharpened twice.

that was always my big knock against wanting to buy a CT--the lack of sharpening service. Doing it with a dremel doesnt seem too bad, as long as it actually works. No matter which direction you go, I will never run another non-carbide resaw blade.