Thread: Workspace

Workspace

I have a 30 fiber laser... my question is, What is your workspace length and height your machines engrave. My machine only engraves 4 1/2 inches long. Does anyone know if my machine is capable of engraving a bigger work space?

Quote Originally Posted by chad shoemaker View Post
    I have a 30 fiber laser... my question is, What is your workspace length and height your machines engrave. My machine only engraves 4 1/2 inches long. Does anyone know if my machine is capable of engraving a bigger work space?
    Hmm, lets see we do not know the brand, model number or lens size? When you find that out please post someone will more than likely be able to help you. Or you could look at reading the documentation with the unit, or contact the people you purchased from.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

It's all in the lens size. The 4-1/2" work area tells me you have 'about' a 110x110mm lens (110mm = 4.33") and the marking on the lens will likely say it's an F-160mm lens.

If you want a larger workspace you need a 'longer' lens; a 150x150 will give you around 6" of workspace, a 220x220 will give you around 9"... of course there's always trade-offs:
    With shorter lenses, the actual focus distance from work to lens is fairly short, and there'smore power density at the beam's focus point- BUT the +/- range of critical focus is pretty tight, and the workspace sizes are smaller. With longer lenses, the focus point distances from work to lens increases- a lot! Longer lenses also result in reduced power density, however, critical focus range increases, and work area increases. And then there's the re-adjusting all the parameters to fit the lens you're using, but that's just part of the fun of fibers!

The way the F-numbers work in relation to the workspace size goes something like this (I've been told this is wrong, but it's real close regardless ) - Go into Corel or AI and draw a circle the same size as your lens's F number. My big lens is an F-330 so lets use that. Now, draw a box and dead center it within the circle, and size it so the corners of the box just touch the circle. In my case the box measures 233.38mm, this lens is sold as a 220x220mm lens. A 160mm circle will fit a 113x133mm size box inside... I've found most advertised work sizes to be around somewhat smaller than the box that fits

What many folks may not realize, is that you can engrave within much of the lens's circle area, you're not confined to 'just' the shape of the square work area... Even within your 4-1/2" workspace, you can engrave over 6" long diagonally.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you Ken!!! My machine is a 110×110 lens. I appreciate your help. I need a bigger work space for what i am trying to do. I will be looking into getting a larger lens 👍 Thanks again Ken

Quote Originally Posted by chad shoemaker View Post
    Thank you Ken!!! My machine is a 110×110 lens. I appreciate your help. I need a bigger work space for what i am trying to do. I will be looking into getting a larger lens �� Thanks again Ken
    I think I had a 160 or 150 mm and once I installed it, never took it off. With your 30 watt fiber it should be fine.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10