Thread: Bosch 18v NiMHi power tools, want to convert to Li Ion - should I?

Bosch 18v NiMHi power tools, want to convert to Li Ion - should I?

I have a nice set of Bosch 18v (blue core batteries) power tools (1/2" drill, skill saw, sawzall, light) that I bought as a combo set some years ago. After about 4-5 years I bought some replacement batteries, probably from China, those have lasted abut 3-4 years (now dying). Recently my wife also gave me a nice Bosch 1/4" impact gun Li Ion a year ago, love it. So I have a nice set of older Bosch tools that all work great. And I have two new Li Ion batteries and charger that came with my new impact gun. I saw they now have conversion pieces that will mate my new Li Ion batts with my older Bosch tools. About $45 if I remember right. I hate to buy a whole new set of tools to get Li Ion, nor do I want to buy more NiMH batteries, given their reviews.
    My Q: has anybody used these conversion pieces to do what I'm thinking about doing (they look poorly made)?
    If so, any problems or advice? Randy

I have used the Dewalt adapter that lets you use new Dewalt batteries on old 18V Dewalt tools. It fits well and works fine, but I'm a DIY guy so I haven't exactly worn it out.

I question if the adapter will make it too long and upset the balance of the tool. How will it affect locking in the battery in two spots. Could be awkward bits sticking out waiting to be snagged.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    I have used the Dewalt adapter that lets you use new Dewalt batteries on old 18V Dewalt tools. It fits well and works fine, but I'm a DIY guy so I haven't exactly worn it out.
    Is this an aftermarket adapter or one that is made by DeWalt?

I have no knowledge of the Bosch adapter, but Dewalt's is designed to keep the tool's original balance - more or less. The Li batteries are a bit smaller than the older NiMH and NiCad batteries, which makes this possible.

I just went through this myself, albeit with much older tools, and decided to buy new tools. Part of this decision was that I got batteries for a lot less as part of kits than I could buy them as standalone items.

Another consideration was that most manufacturers are now offering brushless tools, which seem to be more powerful and efficient than older technologies.

Randall, the adapter is made by Dewalt and is available on Amazon for $39. They also have some package deals with an adapter and batteries for what seems like a good price.