Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wiring For Compressor Help...

Boy oh boy!! - this has really turned into a "slug-fest". ( I know that I'm pretty new here compared to some of you "old-timers"). Time to calm down guys. For reference, about 10 years ago I had a Campbell Hausfeld (purchased at Home Depot) compressor with almost the exact identical specs to the compressor Derek has. I installed this in my machine shop before I had a chance to run the 3/4" copper line from the larger compressor in the main shop out to the machine shop. I ran this compressor on a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire to the compressor. I ran this compressor for about a year with no problems what so ever. Even did some sandblasting on several car frames (ie. - Hot Rod) that really taxed the duty cycle. It worked great. No overheating. The wiring didn't get hot. ETC. I think that Derek will be fine - no need to over-think this. Just my opinion.
    David

Blog Entries
    Personally I would run a 20 amp 220 volt dedicated circuit, heck you could do a 15 amp 220 volt run and be ahead. Surely the compressor can be rewired for 220 volts? Heck of a lot easier than running a 30 amp circuit.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Boy oh boy!! - this has really turned into a "slug-fest".
    David
    David
    No, all is good. Topics such as electrical, dust collection, Festool, etc, will elicit a wide range of response.
    Discussion is always healthy. Differing viewpoints are just as valuable as viewpoints that share consensus, sometimes even more. People have many different experiences and the opportunity to learn is enhanced as long as the discourse stays polite and civil.
    Sometimes it's just the way a topic is presented, or the terms used. I remember many years ago I needed to "sister" 2x8's to level a floor. ( I have an old house.) When I went to the building inspector he told me all the inspection I would need and I would also need a civil plan Yikes!!!
    When I further explained "exactly" what I was wanted to do, he then told me that "sistering" was the wrong term to use in that application, as it implied that I needed to either re-establish, repair, or reinforce, an existing floor joist. I just wanted to level the floor. I always thought that if you nailed one board to another, face to face, a person was "sistering". Apparently there are subtle distinctions. I left the office with a much "simpler" inspection plan. Sometimes it's just the words we use that can cause confusion.

I have a great deal of respect for all of the members here on the forum.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)