Thread: Happy Juneteenth

Happy Juneteenth

I hope everyone has a joyful and productive Juneteenth.

ken

I live near D.C. and a two days earlier I took my sister’s family, who was visiting from California, to the African American History Museum. In the Cultural Expressions section of the top floor there is a tasty little Neander morsel. A toolbox with a few hand tools in it. Unfortunately, there is no information regarding the tools’ specific history; just a general description of the contents without context of who owned them which would have certainly made them more interesting.

toolsofthetrade.jpg

I personally have a great interest in African American woodworking, specifically prior to freedom. Unfortunately, there is very little to research out there. There’s info on Thomas Day, John Hemmings, and a few other scattered references or generalizations (Colonial Williamsburg, etc.). But there’s not a whole lot of other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    I live near D.C. and a two days earlier I took my sister’s family, who was visiting from California, to the African American History Museum. In the Cultural Expressions section of the top floor there is a tasty little Neander morsel. A toolbox with a few hand tools in it. Unfortunately, there is no information regarding the tools’ specific history; just a general description of the contents without context of who owned them which would have certainly made them more interesting.

toolsofthetrade.jpg

I personally have a great interest in African American woodworking, specifically prior to freedom. Unfortunately, there is very little to research out there. There’s info on Thomas Day, John Hemmings, and a few other scattered references or generalizations (Colonial Williamsburg, etc.). But there’s not a whole lot of other stuff.
    Chris,

Beautiful tool tote, As for AA woodworking history I expect most is lost.

ken

Do some research on Richard Poyner, who was a slave, bought his freedom and became a famous chairmaker in Franklin, TN.

Chris,

I’m in NoVA.

If you haven’t already, take a drive down to Forest, VA and spend some time at Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. It’s a unique place and I felt it was worth the trip even that’s the only thing I visited down there.

They had a Hemmings door on display. I would have enjoyed seeing it with my hands, but chose to just look.

Blog Entries
    Cesar Chelor was a slave of Francis Nicholson, considered to be North America's first plane maker. Nicholson willed freedom, tools and land to Chelor. Planes with the Chelor stamp are not inexpensive.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Lowell,

Thanks for the link.

ken