Thread: Best polish/wax for mid century pine?

Best polish/wax for mid century pine?

Please move if this is in the wrong section. I just need some help!
    Just bought this awesome molded pine 1950s dresser.

It has a good amount of scratches, nicks, dings, chips, etc.

I don't want to do anything ultra intrusive. Really just want to clean/polish or wax.

What would be the safest way to treat this piece? I've heard oils like Murphy's oil soap can be harmful.

Is a wax the best approach? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

62457499_10156867316882017_5517825986470608896_n.jpg

https://imgur.com/OFPlTc5
    Last edited by Zack Hurley; 06-19-2019 at 1:39 PM.

I think Williamsville Wax would do well for this project. I love the stuff. It’s non-toxic and leaves a nice shine. You could use wax filler and/or stain markers to help restore color where there are nicks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O1PQ5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_HffdDb9DWE1VN
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 06-21-2019 at 12:15 AM.

By "approach" do you just want to clean it up and make it usable, or to repair and refinish? If the former, no big deal. I use the Murphy's oil soap all the time for cleaning wooden objects. Can't see what would be especially damaging for furniture as long as you dont let the water stay and soak in. Its just a mild soap. Wax would just be a temporary coating that makes it look and feel good temporarily. No spray polish however. Those wax touch up sticks you can find in the hardware store are easy way to fill scratches. Depending on the color, however: sometimes its hard to blend in.

I've always had good luck with Johnston's Paste Wax (the stuff in the yellow can with black/red stripes -- sold as a floor wax). Cheap and cheerful and does a good job. Also like Butcher's wax, but harder to find in the corner hardware store. Come to think of it, harder to find a corner hardware store too.

Wipe down with a damp cloth. Dry with a soft cloth. Then apply your wax. You may get up some grime as you apply the wax due to the solvents in the wax. Light, thin coat which should flash off and haze over within a few hours. Another clean cloth and some elbow grease and done. I hear people say wax attracts dust. I've not found that to be the case IF I keep the coats thin and buffed out well.

Just avoid anything with silicone. Read the labels.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.