Thread: Laguna Revo 24-36 Unexplained Bolt Hole

Laguna Revo 24-36 Unexplained Bolt Hole

I've had my Laguna Revo 24-36 lathe since last November, I thought I knew it backwards. Today though, I found something new about it.

In the headstock, below the nose cone that holds the exit of the spindle shaft, there is an unexplained bolt hole of approximately 4mm for a countersunk bolt. I've never seen it before, although I must have cleaned over it many times.

I checked the owners manual, which really should be called an assembly manual; nothing.

I then checked online and found a couple of images that had a visible image of the headstock portion and found a few here and there. I checked out some 18-36 images and some had a hole there, some didn't.

I'm presuming that the later built units may have this hole for something, either during manufacture, or maybe for an accessory; but I really don't know why. My unit was built 08/2018, according to the plate on it.

Attached is a mobile phone picture I took this evening, bit dodgy, but you should be able to get the picture.

Also, here is a link to a web picture showing the same hole.

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/sites/default/files/assets/images/laguna_revo_19.JPG

Obviously not an issue, but now that I have discovered it, I'm super curious....

Mick.

24-36_Bolt_Hole_IMG_20190619_174040 (002).jpg

Probably termites!

In your photo it looks like oil or something has come out of the hole. We just dealt with a similar hole on a water faucet on our reverse osmosis unit. The drain hose had plugged and excess water seeped out of that hole. The hole is a pressure relief hole. Just a guess, my mind is still remembering our problem.

Mick... I just checked my 18/36 and it has the same hole. It is threaded as well. If you open the door where you would change the belt speed you can see a Philips screw at the same location holding a box where the inverter wires come into the headstock. I can shine a light into the hole and what I'm seeing is the bottom of that screw. I can only guess that maybe they were going to screw from the outside to hold that box in place and for whatever reason put the screw on the inside? Certainly not oil or pressure relief.... just a threaded hole.

Barry, I certainly should have looked inside the headstock, but as it was really cold (Winter Solstice in 2 days) and dark, I didn't investigate thoroughly. What threw me though, was that the outside is counter sunk, which, as you say, would almost certainly mean there was another method of holding that box. They must have gone with "Plan B". In the light of day this early afternoon, I can plainly see the screw holding the box to the wall.

Many thanks for that and enjoy your Summer Solstice on Saturday.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Barry, I certainly should have looked inside the headstock, but as it was really cold (Winter Solstice in 2 days) and dark, I didn't investigate thoroughly. What threw me though, was that the outside is counter sunk, which, as you say, would almost certainly mean there was another method of holding that box. They must have gone with "Plan B". In the light of day this early afternoon, I can plainly see the screw holding the box to the wall.

Many thanks for that and enjoy your Summer Solstice on Saturday.

Mick.
    It's much easier to process a through tapped hole than a blind one and was probably much easier to do the machining from the outside.