Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corel X3 X4 importing DXF issues

Corel X3 X4 importing DXF issues

I've been putting up with this for like years now, maybe someone can help--

I use x3 and x4 all day every day. X4 is perfectly fine for everything I do, except for ONE thing: When importing DXFs, text WILL NOT COME IN center justified, it's always LEFT justified, and always parked slightly right of the actual text centerline. Example:
    left-a.jpg
    -- all text not in text frames should be centered on the (lower) plates, or centered on the marked centerlines. And speaking of text frames, why does some text come framed, and some doesn't? I've seen screenshots of the original DXF before it's exported, there's no reason I can see why some is framed and some isn't? And half the time, the frame is smaller than the text and expanding the frame can move the text from it's original position, depending... If I could figure out how to lose the frames from the get-go I'd save 2 hours a day I swear!

Anyway- because of the left justified text BS, I use Corel x3, because text comes in exactly as it should, however it's drawn on the original, it comes into x3 the same way.

Except x3 has it's own stupid problem I can't figure out...

Whenever importing DXF's (and DWG's fwiw) in x4, I ALWAYS get this 'text substitution' message:
    text sub.jpg
    --this is the exact message I got with the file in the first pic.

but in x3, I get no such message. And I also get no text! Actually I DO, but it's invisible, and can't be grouped. So what I have to do is select everyting, then un-group all, then hit 'edit//select all text', which it does, then I have to move it away from everything else... then I can change the font to what I want, then it's good to go...

Here's the same file as above imported into x3:
    notext.jpg
    I selected all, because while selected the text baseline nodes(?) become visible, just not the text! But as you can see by the nodes, the text is centered as it should be.

This is the result after I ungroup-all, select all text, slide it right 30", change the font, (this is a font called Lato Hairline, which works great for tool engraving) then slide it back:
    yestext.jpg
    Other than the text frames, it's perfect. But you can see the problem with the frames, in the first 3x3 plate bottom left, notice the framed text is "RUN" and "CALIBRATE", which is the same for all 3 plates-- why is CALIBRATE within such a small frame? I don't care so much that it's framed, but I'm getting 20 or so similar blueprints weekly from just this customer, and this is a simple set of plates compared to most blueprints. And the frame issue occurs with every version of Corel I've tried (9,10, 13, 14 and 16).

Just reworking text centering or making visible in addition to manually expanding dozens of text frames on every blueprint is driving me crazy! In the text menu there's a 'paragraph text frames' sub menu, the only options being 'show text frames' and 'fit text to frame', neither or both of which changes anything...

I just want to import, select all text, change the font, start engraving... is that too much to ask from Corel? If not Corel, what program will do this? Gravostyle actually WILL import text with no frames, and centered up, and I can even import it in the correct font! BUT, the correct font has character spacing issues (too close for tool engraving) and in Gravostyle, you cannot batch-edit text. It's all word by word. And that BS takes longer to do than all the issues in Corel put together...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Can't help,but I haven't imported a lot of dxf's into Corel, I usually just export them for EzCad. Have you tried and of the versions from the last 10 Years?
    X3 and X4 are getting long in the tooth.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

my BIL has x6 on the computer he uses here, text comes in center justified, but still have to deal with text frames, so basically the same as x3.

If I could just get x4 to center text, I could put x3 out to pasture.

If I could figure out how to eliminate the text frames, I'd throw a party!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev - send me the dxf file(s) and I'll import them into X8 and see what happens. I also have X5 and X6 installed and will try it on them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    my BIL has x6 on the computer he uses here, text comes in center justified, but still have to deal with text frames, so basically the same as x3.

If I could just get x4 to center text, I could put x3 out to pasture.

If I could figure out how to eliminate the text frames, I'd throw a party!

Ask your customer to explode dimensions and any mtext. And ask to have all dtext set to left justified or middle center (ONLY). For any SHX (AutoCAD font i.e. ROMANS), see if they'll explode the text before exporting to DXF.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I've been putting up with this for like years now, maybe someone can help--

Whenever importing DXF's (and DWG's fwiw) in x4, I ALWAYS get this 'text substitution' message:
    text sub.jpg
    --this is the exact message I got with the file in the first pic.

but in x3, I get no such message. And I also get no text! Actually I DO, but it's invisible, and can't be grouped. So what I have to do is select everyting, then un-group all, then hit 'edit//select all text', which it does, then I have to move it away from everything else... then I can change the font to what I want, then it's good to go...

Here's the same file as above imported into x3:
    notext.jpg
    I selected all, because while selected the text baseline nodes(?) become visible, just not the text! But as you can see by the nodes, the text is centered as it should be.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    I believe that the majority of your problem is the missing fonts that you don't have on your system. When Corel does the font substitution, it picks something close which may or may not have the same letter width and spacing, hence the justification being off. I'm pretty sure that if you were to track down the couple of fonts that you're missing and install them on your machine, the files would all import correctly after that. Not familiar with AutoCad, but if they could do something to convert the text to "Curves" before they export them, so they are imported on your end as curves and not actual text, that would also alleviate the issue as Corel would just be dealing with the curves of the letters and not actual text.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Kev, if you are inclined send me the dxf and I'll open in CAD and provide another 2 cents. I wouldn't mind, after all your [free] input re. fibers.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

I would want to find out the exact CAD program and version of DXF/DWG is being ouput. Maybe not exactly what you want to hear, but if they are a big enough customer, you might want to:

1. Get the same version of the program the DXF/DWG was created in. If it is AutoCAD, maybe get a copy of AutoCAD LT and then you can export r12 DXF to Corel, and see if it fixes your problem.

2. Free solution to test. Get a free copy of NanoCAD. Open the DXF/DWG files, strip out the extraneous dimensions etc. and output r12 DXF to Corel.

https://nanocad.com/products/nanoCAD/download/

In my past, I converted a lot of files from many different apps including AutoCAD, Solidworks, Adobe Illustrator, etc. The best way I found to get the file the way I wanted before importing was to massage it in the program it was first created.

It sounds like the process you have works for you, except for the time involved. It might be quicker to try 1 or 2 above.

Ralph
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-20-2019 at 12:32 PM.

First, thanks everyone!

--part of the problem is my customers - I speak with buyers, show them right on my computer what's going on, and their engineers help some but not totally.

My biggest customer, who's willing as crap to make things easy for me, says they're using a brand new version of autocad (I assume) and it's been giving them fits- took them 3 months just to figure out how to send me one file instead of two. For those 3 months I was having to morph PDF's with text but garbage graphics together with the matching DXF file with great graphics but no text. We went to the moon 50 years ago, and I can't get a computer file with text AND vectors? something's not right... One engineer finally figured out a workaround, says it takes him quite awhile to fix each file, some sort of layer issue, but it works. With their files I get framed text sporadically is all, but the text justification issue between Corel versions is identical; versions 10 and 14 all text=left justified, versions 13 and 16, text=as it should be...

I'm downloading nanocad right now, thanks for that, I'm curious

And I can't share DXF's as they were sent to me, confidential issues - I could strip one of all but the basics like I did above, but it would resave per Corel, not autocad-
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

The free NanoCAD version is a few versions back of their newest "pay" version, and might not support newer DXF/DWG versions. I use a program called Draftsight, which is another AutoCAD knockoff. It was a free program, that is now switching to a subscription based software. $100 per year for the basic version. I do all of my designing in it, then convert to PDF, then open in an older version of Adobe Illustrator (CS3) to run a ULS VLS3.5

It sounds like your customer is willing to work with you. The first thing I would try with them is for them to output a R12 ASCII DXF. They should be able to, and this version is a good one to start at. The only problem with downsaving to R12 DXF - any splines created in AutoCAD are converted to polylines - not a problem for some, but it might created some "jaggy" lines for others.

Ralph

NanoCAD is interesting, I accomplished more with it in 10 minutes than with the AutoCad R14 I've had for years...

And I've figured out 2 things, sort of- One is, the text justification issue is a Corel thing. NanoCAD imports my files with perfectly aligned text, I save them, and Corel x4 screws up the text.

And two, virtually every piece of text I save in NanoCad ends up framed in Corel. Not some of it, but every last bit of it. So from this I've figured out the text frame issue is an issue with AutoCad or NanoCAD-- yes? If so, any suggestions??

HOWEVER-! Even though all the text is framed, it's all visible as all the frames are big enough to show the text! That right there eliminates a bunch of time spent expanding frames then re-aligning half the text that moved. I can also batch-edit text spacing and such while framed... anyway, that's a plus.

Also, I find it easier to work with the layers in NanoCAD than Corel...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev,

Ask your client to export files in WMF format.
    I get no issues with importing files created in ACAD and converted to WMF.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Tony, I will do that, thanks! Umm, can I export in WMF with this NanoCAD? (Meanwhile, I'll check myself!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Tony, I will do that, thanks! Umm, can I export in WMF with this NanoCAD? (Meanwhile, I'll check myself!
    Not 100% Kev but you may be able to WMFOUT in R14...
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

so I just installed A14 on one of my XP's, won't work on 7--

So yes, it does have an export to WMF option, but- it goes thru the motion but doesn't create a file? Bear in mind I know squat about Acad, but it didn't give me any error messages, just no file is made...

And something interesting about 'all text shows up' I mentioned above- this only happens on files I save as version A14, if I save as 2004 or 2007 versions, I get the same crap as the originals from my customer, and they're sending me 2004 version files...

I hate A14, it won't do jack, can't figure out how to zoom in or out, how to select? The moving cross acts like it's not 'turned on'..? The NanoCAD does those tasks no problem.

anyway, I'm having my customer send me some files, in A14 format plus WMF files - likely Monday, nobody likes working much on Fridays

I have one customer, the engineer I deal with went above and beyond to help me with their files: he purchased Corel, learned to use it, and after a little back 'n forth about a few issue tweaks, I now get ready to run files, all parts nicely nested together leaving near zero material scrap. Cut material, put in laser, hit start, go do something else till it's all done...Doesn't get any better!

Now if I could just convince ALL my customers to use Corel... oh yeah
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-21-2019 at 3:44 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter