Thread: 8 inch fence boards gone?

8 inch fence boards gone?

I need to buy a few replacement 8 inch wide fence boards to replace some so can I rebuild a fence. Either cedar or redwood. I can only find 6" boards at the box stores. there are a few packages of 8inch boards but they run about $10 per board.
    I bought a fence full of 8" boards within the last 10 years. When did they drop 8" boards?
    Bill D.

The big box stores are all about hitting a price point, so when 8" boards cost "too much" they go to cheaper 6" boards. They've got a team of market research MBAs who figure out that consumers won't pay more than $7.99 for a fence board, so they then sell the board they can price at $7.99. Same reason that grocery packages become ever smaller-- the "half gallon" niche ice cream container is now not much bigger than a quart so it can sell at the perceived right price.

Any real lumber yard should be able to give you what you need.

Went to a country (I will not name), to work for a week. Had to stay a month. Found laundry soap packaged so it would sell for less than the ever popular liter of beer.

Try an actual fencing supplier. They should have everything.

Hoe Depot did have 8" cedar fence boards but no way to find them from their search engine. Even after I bought them and used the skew number Hoe Depots search could not locate them. Goggle did find them for me.
    Odd since their search engine uses reverse logic and increases hits as you add more limiters.
    Bill D