Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Establishing first straight rip with bark

Blog Entries
    He’s saying that if you have a sliding table saw, you can clamp the board on the trolley and cut a square edge. If you don’t own one or have no plans to buy one than it’s probably neither here nor there.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bram de Jong View Post
    :-) you explained the bit I understood... The part I didn't get was "unless you have a sliding table saw with a minimum of about 2100mm/80" of cut stroke."
    "As long as the wagon on the saw you use has a cutting capacity of at least the length of your board(s), you can rip a straight edge easily and safely"...ie, the saw has to be large enough/long enough to do the cut on the entire board.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post

Or a miter sled, plus clamps, which is basically the same idea.
    I no longer have my Unisaw, but I used to use this Incra model & loved it:

https://www.incra.com/miter_gauges-miter5000.html

A tracksaw is also a good idea, but you'd want to make the top & bottom surfaces as flat as possible, first. otherwise (obviously) you won't get an even 90º cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If you just have a few boards you can take this idea and simplify it by just nailing a long, straight board or piece of plywood to your stock and put the board against the fence. Don't overthink it. The chalk line idea works fine, too.

Yes, nail (or tape) a straight board on top and run it thru the saw. This also helps with the unflatness issue and doesn't commit you to storing a dedicated jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "As long as the wagon on the saw you use has a cutting capacity of at least the length of your board(s), you can rip a straight edge easily and safely"...ie, the saw has to be large enough/long enough to do the cut on the entire board.
    Sort of😀

I have an 8 foot piece of ply with the “T” moulding underneath to fit the sliding table on my saw.

It increases the straight line rip capacity from 50 inches to over 8 feet......Rod.

It depends on the length of the piece and my mood at the time. I often use a jig like Doug mentions for shortish pieces. I have used a chalkline and bandsaw or circular saw, sometimes run over the jointer afterwards or touched up with a hand jointer plane.

I also have a nice aluminum two piece saw guide/straightedge that is 8' long that I inherited from my dad. It works great for jobs like that when used with a circular saw if i remember to use it. Most often I forget it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Sort of

I have an 8 foot piece of ply with the “T” moulding underneath to fit the sliding table on my saw.

It increases the straight line rip capacity from 50 inches to over 8 feet......Rod.
    Yes, that's an option for shorter stroke sliders.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...