Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Menards...Can Someone Please Buy & Ship This Hose Reel To Me, Please...

Jim, to which are you referring? I value your opinion.

Blog Entries
    Me too Jim. I'm wondering what you don't like about it. I know that sometimes the hose binds inside when there are the last 4 or 5' to go in, but when that happens I just pull it out a couple of feet & then hold the hose to one side or the other while the last few feet feed in. If the hose was 10' shorter, I don't think it would ever even happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Just saw this Flexzilla L8250FZ hose reel on Menards website. I tried to purchase it for the $53+, but it says it can't ship to me in CA. I was hoping someone who has a Menards close by might purchase this for me and ship it to me? I know...it's a big ask, but the only prices I have are double what Menards is charging. Thanks! Oh..sale is on till the 22nd.
    https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...695099&&ipos=1
    Have you tried Northern Tool? They usually carry a variety.

I haven't tried that reel but have a couple of other reels, one enclosed and one open. I don't care for enclosed reel - since I can't always see way the hose is winding it's easier to get it jammed up. In my equipment maintenance area I use a Goodyear open reel the hose is always easy to retract.

I like to keep everything clean, so even in the mechanic shop, I have hand crank reels. Any time a hose is rewound on the reel, there is a cloth there. One hand holds the cloth around the hose, and the other cranks the reel.

The one that gets drug around to building sites holds 200'. Even the rare times when that is all the way out, it doesn't take That long to wind it back in, and there are never any tangles, or hangups.

To those who asked about my dissatisfaction with this particular reel....it came with a leaky hose and it's extremely difficult to get it to "lock" and "unlock" the hose when it's pulled out. Sometime it takes a half dozen or so attempts to get it to lock extended and that's usually always when that kind of behavior is most inconvenient. Because of the leaky nature, I have to leave it disconnected when not actually in use. I wish I had bought it from one of my normal sources because it would have gone back, no question. But that was not the case, although I don't remember the details of why I could not return it at this point. It's there in my shop and I occasionally use it when I need that extra connection, but...

My big disappointment is that it wasn't anything close to the quality of the many Flexeel hoses I own and love.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Jim, how old is that reel? I wonder if the design has changed. With the one I have, as you pull out the hose, every few feet there will be a series of 5 clicks. If you stop pulling before you get past the fifth click, the hose will lock. To unlock, the hose is pulled past the fifth click to unlock it & then released. works every time.

As to long term reliability, I can't comment yet. But clearly this is a hobby shop item & not as robust as the heavy steel pro shop reels. It only cost a fraction of what those do though.

I sure do love the Flexzilla hoses. I can find nothing negative to say about them. They don't even seem to easily get dirty, which I thought would be an issue, given the bright color and surface texture.

I may be wrong, but from what I've read, not to sell in CA and other states, because of Prop 65, is the choice of Menards and not a rule or law. Am I wrong?
    Sounds right. Prop 65 doesn't actually ban any products, it just requires a highly specific warning label to be applied to it...Menards may not want to deal with that if the manufacturer didn't provide it.

Might not even be a Prop 65 thing: if the hose/liner is made from the "wrong" sort of plastic, and since this can potential carry drinking water, that's a no-no. (Can't remember the one that got banned recently here.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Just saw this Flexzilla L8250FZ hose reel on Menards website. I tried to purchase it for the $53+, but it says it can't ship to me in CA. I was hoping someone who has a Menards close by might purchase this for me and ship it to me? I know...it's a big ask, but the only prices I have are double what Menards is charging. Thanks! Oh..sale is on till the 22nd.
    https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...695099&&ipos=1
    Derek, I am heading to Menards. Internet says they have six at that store. I will pick one up and check on shipping cost. If you don’t want it I will keep it, so don’t feel obligated.

ps. If you know a cheap way to get it to you from zip code 50111, let me know.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Derek, I am heading to Menards. Internet says they have six at that store. I will pick one up and check on shipping cost. If you don’t want it I will keep it, so don’t feel obligated.

Thanks Charlie! Very cool of you to do that. Let me know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Jim, how old is that reel? .
    About a year old. I bought it when I was preparing for my CNC and made some changes to my air system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post

Just wanted to give a big Thank You to Charlie for helping out a fellow Creeker. He went out of his way to help me out and I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Might not even be a Prop 65 thing: if the hose/liner is made from the "wrong" sort of plastic, and since this can potential carry drinking water, that's a no-no. (Can't remember the one that got banned recently here.)
    Ah geez...just realized this is an air hose reel, not a garden hose reel. Ignore me, it's been a tough week.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

13. If California really wanted to prevent cancer it would ban the sun. I cannot believe there has not been a ballot initiative for this.