Thread: A couple of baby shower presents

Blog Entries

A couple of baby shower presents

So about a week ago LOML asked me if I could make a couple of toys for baby showers for two young expectant women from our church. I looked at several of my books with toys and didn't come up with anything. I did an internet search and ran across a push toy that makes noise. Kids love to make noise!! Since the showers are both near the 4th of JUly, I decided on a patriotic theme. Here's what I came up with:
    IMG_3434.jpgIMG_3435.jpg
    I was able to locate some red, white, and blue jingle bells. I tried six in each cage, but it was much too loud. I took out three and added two wooden balls. I made the wheels on my band saw and trued them up with a jig on my drill press using some sanding sleeves. The yokes are 3/4" baltic birch plywood, but the 1/2" axle left too little wood for support so I added some pieces of maple for added strength. Total cost was under $15 for both toys. Most of the wood and dowels were left over from previous projects. The toys are quite sturdy, not heavy and the wheels roll really well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Look nice! Cool to see something completely different here..............especially for kids!

Well done Lee. The wood gives a much warmer feel than the usual plastic toy.