Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Priming OSB

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Just curious, why OSB for a shop wall. We can't use it around here if exposed to high humidity. It swells lengthwise, buckles and looks "flakey" If a house with OSB is left empty for a year, the siding starts to look wavy.
    What Jim mentioned about low humidity in the shop is correct. In addition I put this up by myself and I figured the weight of it was considerably less than sheet rock. At this point it has been up 4 years with no problems. I want to paint it so it looks better and I figure a painted wall will be better for reflecting light.

I've used both Zinsser BIN and KILZ on OSB. Both work flawlessly. The KILZ in my shop was used as the primer AND top coat. I think I used 2 coats. It has held up very well.

The only downside of KILZ is that it smells for a few weeks after. The BIN is great, but cleanup is a little bit of a pain because it's shellac-based.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-19-2019 at 1:14 PM.

Around here, the outside humidity in the 85 to 100 percent level is frequently normal even in the middle of the day. and when shops are only heated when used, the condensation gets into the walls. Vapor barrier insulation does little to keep out the ambient humidity in the unheated air. Even shop tools develop fine coatings of rust, unless treated with wax or oil regularly. I run a dehumidifier constantly and the humidity still runs about 70% inside the shop on warm humid days. The lowest humidity reading I have had in the shop, EVER, was 45% . Sometimes I envy the folks out west.

I used a few sheets of OSB to build storage cabinets and wanted them to look better. Filled the OSB with a few coats of paint and they still look good after 30 years in the garage. Got the paint free by asking friends if they had any old paint to get rid of. Got plenty.

Well I bought Kilz original and started putting it on today. Wow this stuff is really disappearing into the OSB. I figure I will not get much more than 220 sq ft per gallon on coverage.
    Very nice to see the change and white instead of the OSB.