Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut dining table

Stunning! Terrific craftsmanship and design.

Beautiful table - the design is great. The flow of the lines of the legs is terrific. And I second the request for more info on the construction of the legs. Very well done!

Blog Entries
    Thanks again for the compliments. Alright... here comes the motherload of 'building of the table' photos. Haha, you asked for it.

Legs:
    Probably the most interesting piece to the people asking. It is the most complicated single part on the table. All of them had to be more or less duplicates and the geometry was complex.

I had a fabrication company waterjet cut 3 templates for me. One of the steel templates was the dimension of the elbow. Another template was longer and I could use to see how close the leg + elbow + horizontal was to the template. I used the shorter template with a router to cut each piece of wood to shape (after bandsaw work).

After routering, I had 12 of these:
    0416182200.jpg

I made the grain 45 degrees ish to give me the best chance of success with the tenon design / growth (shout out to Sawmill Creek on that helpful tip)

After making 12 of these, I had to glue three at a time up, drill holes for future bolts that would hold the metal piece in place (no glue between metal and wood) and make the groove for the wood, and cut my tenons.

Here is the goal of the metal piece + tenon:
    elbow with slot_autocad.jpg

So the 3rd template is a piece that allows me to router the blank space / negative space for the future metal leg bracket. Set the router height at the thickness of the steel (1/4") and have the bearing at the bottom cutter. I.e. short fat cutter. Cut the negative space on 4 elbow pieces. We have room for these now:

Leg brace.jpg

We're still missing holes for the bolts. Next step is get those ready. Have to make sure there is room for the future wood plug and the head / washer of the bolts. I can't remember if I did this step prior to glue up or after. I believe I did it after, but my memory is fading. Once the contraption was glued up, I taped the template to the leg assemblies again and used my horizontal belt sander to get everything smooth and, hopefully, duplicated. Now we have these:

0520181321.jpg

This was the first step of the project. I thought it would be the hardest, but it turns out that I thought it over so much that it went smoothly. The table top ended up being the problem child. Probably because I thought: "that part won't be hard".
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 06-24-2019 at 2:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    I think the other interesting part of the project was getting the X shape. The legs are truly 'thru legs', that is the horizontal of each leg does go the length of the table. So I had to cut a slice out of each leg at their crossing point. To keep the legs thick, I also cut a deep slots in the table top to keep the table height correct (see photos).

So at some point, I had a table top and two big legs. I had to get the X right, so I used 8 plum bobs, one at each corner of each leg (see photos). I tried to make these legs sit in the same location at each corner. I only did this measurement step about a million times before finally getting out the router (a big 1/2", 3" or 4" long spiral dude). Finish the corners with a chisel. Boom. You have the X in the bottom of the table top. During this process, you also marked where the legs cross. So you can use your Makita / Fein multitool to cut out the crossing point tenon.

Once the X is cut and the legs are crossing, you add some threaded females to the bottom of the X, drill the legs as needed. Keep enough room for growth in all these cuts / drills / etc.

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1536617949018.jpg_1536617952462.jpg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1537920867212.jpg_1537920871982.jpg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1537837004199.jpg_1537837007720.jpg

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1538349860429.jpg_1538349864784.jpg

Finishing the legs in my living room:

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1552611703751.jpg_1552611708832.jpg

That is a great table. Thanks for the additional information on the build.

That's a very handsome table.

Thanks for the info and pics Andrew. Very clever build on the legs, and really well done.

That is a really nice table. Thanks for the details on your construction methods.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Beautiful table Andrew. The design is both unique and outstanding. You should be one proud wood worker.