Thread: Deal or No Deal

Deal or No Deal

Delta Bandsaw from 1942, seller is asking $500. Is this worth that much?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Seems to me that is way high.

In my opinion, that is a No Deal. However, market value does vary from region to region. Where are you located? In my region, i can expect to pay anywhere from $350-450 for a 14" bandsaw clone in good shape--Delta, Jet, Powermatic, or Grizzly. I paid $250 for a 14" jet a couple years ago, and promptly resold it after a month or two for $400. This particular machine is probably well built, and someone might come along and say, "they dont build em like they used to", and that may be true to an extent, but this machine was very light duty for back in the day. It was built to a budget just like modern day saws are. Unfortunately, compared to new saws in its peer class, it dosnt have a quick release tension bar, guides might need replaced, both wheel bearings are probably shot, tires might need to be replaced, motor drive shaft bearing might be a problem, and the belt itself might need looked at. Just my $0.02, but that machine would need to be freshly restored, and i would need to be hopped up on member berries reminiscing of my old highschool woodshop before i thought $500 was a good deal for that saw.

I have one slightly newer, that was given to me. I upgraded it with every upgrade possible, including putting a new 1-1/2hp Baldor motor on it. It does okay, for a flexible, cast iron framed 14" saw, but when Rikon came out with the 10-326, I remember wishing that I hadn't put all that time, and money in the old Delta, and just bought a new 14" saw. That was after having no money in the basic saw to start with. I doubt I could sell it for the money I put into it, so that leaves the saw value at nothing.

I totally restored a old Delta 14" band saw. I installed 8 new bearings (including motor), new paint, new base and expanded table (all made out of hardwood and poly'ed). Sold for $425 and now wish I had it back.... Randy

No deal. Maybe $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Alfano View Post
    Delta Bandsaw from 1942, seller is asking $500. Is this worth that much?
    Hi Peter,
    That is a nice saw. I think that around here (Arizona) it could bring around $300-$375 or so in working condition. Perhaps the seller has some flexibility with his pricing.
    David

bandsaw.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I do like the idea of a vintage Bandsaw, I'll see if I can lower the price. You probably needs some more information to know why I was getting the bandsaw.

I am new to woodworking. I started over a year ago now and want to upgrade some of my tools. I have a hand tool only workshop now but was thinking of purchasing a Bandsaw or frame saw for help with resawing and milling. The type of projects I am doing now are manly small decorative boxes and I plan on making larger projects down the road. I have done all my resawing by hand for the past year and while I can get it done with a panel saw I would like to make this process easier and less time consuming for me.

My shop is a corner of my basement but I have a spot free for a power tool like a band saw. Because my shop is hand tool only I have not had to worry about saw dust. I am concerned about the dust from the bandsaw even though I have been told it produces less than a table saw. For my budget I can sped around $1000. I have seen some cheaper bandsaws for $250 (WEN 10 inch) but didn't know if it is just a waste of money.

My questions is:
    Should I get a $1000 bandsaw that is able to resaw up to 10-13in boards?
    or
    Should I get a cheap $250 bandsaw with 6 in resaw, but then have more money for other hand tools, like a router plane or plow plane.
    or
    Should I get a frame saw and forget about the bandsaw. Buy a kit and make one myself.

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Peter Alfano; 06-19-2019 at 12:43 PM.

I would buy a good bandsaw cheap, like you found, but at a more reasonable price. That's a good BS, its just priced about $200 to high. And its missing a belt guard. Wen is not good stuff... Randy