Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grindstone Project

Blog Entries

The Grindstone Project

My current project was mentioned in the thread on the Artsy component of woodworking thread.

John K Jordan mentioned he would like to see my design. So here it is:

Wheel Horse Drawing.jpg

This is my second drawing of the concept. Often my projects do not even get a full drawing. This one actually got a third drawing of the wheel details to help plan. This required a separate quick project to accomplish. In order to measure the shaft and hub a large pair of dividers was needed. It was quick work making a large pair of dividers out of some scrap wood, a flat washer, carriage bolt and a wing nut.

In the first drawing the bearings were to be mounted at the joint of the two 2X6s. The full width of the wood would have caused too much distance from the hub to the outside of the bearings for the length of the existing shaft to reach. The shaft isn't easy to change, if it can even be changed after all these years.

This is one of the bearing mounts and the one of the bearings:

Bearing & Stand.jpg

The wheel diameter is 20" with a width of 1-3/4". The large hole is for clearance of the hub assembly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've had such a grinding wheel (but I think wider, if not larger), new in the wooden crate it came in, for maybe 40 years, or close to it. Maybe this will motivate me to build something for it. I forget where I ordered it from, but had to be one of the woodworking catalogs back in the mid '70's.

Looking forward to seeing more. Any ideas for the treadle yet?
    Dojo Kun, 1: Be humble and polite.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kory Cassel View Post
    Looking forward to seeing more. Any ideas for the treadle yet?
    A couple have been floating around my cranium. One feature is to be driven by either the left or right foot or both. A second thought is trying to articulate the mechanism so it can be driven from either end.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've had such a grinding wheel (but I think wider, if not larger), new in the wooden crate it came in, for maybe 40 years, or close to it. Maybe this will motivate me to build something for it. I forget where I ordered it from, but had to be one of the woodworking catalogs back in the mid '70's.
    Hi Tom,

I don't specifically remember them offering grinding wheels of this type, but suspect you got it from Frog Tool Company, in Chicago. For example, I recall them occasionally offering unusual things such as pit saws. Hadn't thought of them for years.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

Possible, but I don't remember buying anything from them. I've been looking for a pit saw for years, so if I had one of their catalogs, I might own a pit saw now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Possible, but I don't remember buying anything from them. I've been looking for a pit saw for years, so if I had one of their catalogs, I might own a pit saw now.
    Doesn't look like they have one listed now:

http://www.frogwoodtools.com/index.htm

They didn't have a way to purchase over the internet on my last attempt to purchase some riffler rasps.

jtk

Hmmm. So it seems likely Tom's grindstone came from another source. Sorry about that.

Regarding the pit saws, my primary assumption was that they were likely NOS items which came to market due to one of the older Sheffield firms being purchased and/or liquidated. However, I had reason to be reminded that there was still a small market for pit saws in some parts of the world. In the mid-seventies, my brother visited several areas in China as part of a rural leadership development program. He told me that, in several locations where construction was underway, he saw people using pit saws as regular part of the process. So, possibly, small numbers of such saws were still being produced at that time?

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

I found some pit saws manufactured in India, a few years back. I haven't been actively looking for one. Just ready when one becomes available in my price range (cheap). I don't need one bad enough to pay much for it. I'd just like to have one. I have a tiller handle buried in one of the storage houses here somewhere.

I'll see if I can think to take some pictures of that grindstone in the next few days. I know which building it's in. It may still have the packing slip on the wooden crate.

If i promise to work hard and keep quiet, can I have an Anchor Christmas Ale?

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Blank View Post
    If i promise to work hard and keep quiet, can I have an Anchor Christmas Ale?

Tom
    If you want to come on by there are four left. The store had to buy a whole case to fill my special order. Bryan, at the Brew & Grape, took a six pack for himself and one came home with me so there were some left in the store as of last Thursday.

Tis the season, in my younger days among a circle of friends we would end up trying all the seasonal ales this time of year. Full Sail creates a wonderful Wassail. Sierra Nevada Celebration ale is also a great joy. My malted beverage consumption has been reduced dramatically over the last decade.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Doesn't look like they have one listed now:

http://www.frogwoodtools.com/index.htm

They didn't have a way to purchase over the internet on my last attempt to purchase some riffler rasps.

jtk
    Has anybody done business with them lately? Catalog looked very interesting, then I saw the note that they are scans of something 30 years old and you have to call for updated information. Do they still have the same stock, and just the prices are different, or do you have to call to find out what stock they have?

Nick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Has anybody done business with them lately? Catalog looked very interesting, then I saw the note that they are scans of something 30 years old and you have to call for updated information. Do they still have the same stock, and just the prices are different, or do you have to call to find out what stock they have?

Nick
    My call to them was about a year ago. At the time the prices for the tools of my interest were pretty much what they were in the catalog.

jtk

14. Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Like this one?

Pitsaw.jpg

http://www.frogwoodtools.com/Catalog/65.htm

Mr. Koepke misplaced his trust in the index; I browsed the on-line catalog for saws. (The catalog is not up to real modern Intertubes standards, and is a pain in the rear to use, but when you need a pit saw, ....)

And if you follow the link, you now have their catalog. Happy hunting.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Thanks for that.