Thread: 50’s era Powermatic 66 questions

50’s era Powermatic 66 questions

I found a listing on CL for a 3hp, single phase, Powermatic 66 with a Beismeyer fence and a router table wing including a 3hp DeWalt router for $1000. Haven’t seen or gotten a serial # yet, just a photo of the table top with the upgraded fence, a rusty deck, and the router table add-on wing. Does anyone have any experience with a Powermatic 66 in the gray color of the 50’s? Apparently the son and daughter-in-Law are selling the equipment for dad.

Hi Peter,
    Maybe you could upload some photos of the saw and other tools so that we might make a better assessment as to their condition and value.
    David

Revised Date of Mfg. for Powermatic 66

I got the Ser. # from the seller, 65-138, so it would appear that it is a Model 66 built in 1965...
    Last edited by Peter Bovey; 06-18-2019 at 1:38 PM. Reason: Adding photos

I uploaded some photos from the CL posting and a fuzzy close-up of the serial # & Model# badges. From what I can gather at VintageMachinery.org, it is a Model 66 that was made in 1965, go figure! I cannot view the photos in the post, but I hope others can see them. I am really tempted to buy this saw along with an older Grizzly 8” X 72 jointer so I can start to use some of the wood I’ve stock piled from the days I took a wood shop class at the local high school’s adult education. They had a really well equipped shop with industrial duty machines from Davis & Wells and Oliver.

Peter you need to check these machines out in person with cash in your back pocket and a pickup. The saw. I would run the wheels for blade height and angle up and down to make sure everything works smoothly. Hopefully it is powered up so you can see the motor run and maybe test cut something. If all mechanicals are good then it is belts,bearings and electricals (switches,cord,plug end). This stuff is all replaceable and easily sourced from multiple places. The jointer. Here it would be ,how flat are the tables and how well aligned to each other are they ? Also is the fence flat/straight. (no twist ). Again bearings,knives and electrical are all replaceable,just need to factor that into what you are willing to pay. I really like the fence and a 3 h.p. router is a great bonus on the t.s. Good luck.

1965 vintage Powermatic Model 66 tablesaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Peter you need to check these machines out in person with cash in your back pocket and a pickup. The saw. I would run the wheels for blade height and angle up and down to make sure everything works smoothly. Hopefully it is powered up so you can see the motor run and maybe test cut something. If all mechanicals are good then it is belts,bearings and electricals (switches,cord,plug end). This stuff is all replaceable and easily sourced from multiple places. The jointer. Here it would be ,how flat are the tables and how well aligned to each other are they ? Also is the fence flat/straight. (no twist ). Again bearings,knives and electrical are all replaceable,just need to factor that into what you are willing to pay. I really like the fence and a 3 h.p. router is a great bonus on the t.s. Good luck.
    Thank you Mike for your suggestions. I’ve been pouring over Powermatic 66 web posts and feel like this very early model is worth going for. I’m going to do as you suggest and make an offer dependent on inspection. I’m heading over to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick up a lift cart and clear out the seats of my mini-van for the two items, just in case. My gut says go for it.

What’s a lift cart? Hand truck? Get a couple ratchet straps too to strap it to the hand truck and even strap it down in the car.

Bring sockets and wrenches etc to remove the extension table, fence, and wings.

A lift cart looks like a platform dolly and has a hydraulic lift to raise the platform using a foot pedal. You can find them at Harbor Freight stores. I can use this lift table to raise equipment up high enough to slide into my van.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I was thinking about that after reading someone’s account of buying a vintage table saw and having to strip it down for repairs and re-painting. The Powermatic 66 manual shows an exploded drawing I can use to remove the table and fence possibly to make transport easier.
    The last thing I want is having a table saw and/or jointer come slamming into me if I have to hit the brakes suddenly! I’ve got light, medium and heavy duty straps in case I do purchase these machines, though I would prefer having an experienced machine mover accompany me!

I ended up buying the table saw, jointer, and drill press offered. The table saw top was flat as my straight edge as was the jointer and drill press table. All three started and ran smoothly as could be. I met the family and couldn’t be happier with the deal and the opportunity to do the small amount of refurbishing to bring it back to “date of sale” condition. The table saw is the first generation Model 66 (made in 1965 by Serial # decoding). The Jet-Lock rip fence was replaced with a Beismeyer fence and a 3hp DeWalt router and router table wing was added. The jointer needs a shim or two to make the front and rear tables parallel andI will also do the knife tune-up. The drill press appears to be a General Industrial model, but is totally devoid of any badges or decals identifying the brand! Even the owners manual is devoid of a brand name!!
    I am thrilled to be able to provide a new home to these machines and have already ordered a magnetic starter, replacement plugs, outlets for my garage and breakers for my panel! Real 220V equipment capable of ripping the 8/4 oak and cherry I have been hanging on to for a bed frame at last!

By the way, thank you Mike, David and Matt for your suggestions and advice on evaluating these machines!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bovey View Post
    By the way, thank you Mike, David and Matt for your suggestions and advice on evaluating these machines!
    Hi Peter,
    This is great news! I think you bought some real quality tools are a more than fair price. Please post some photos once you get them set up in your shop.
    David

Peter ,I was wondering what had happened. Congratulations,it is a good day when old tools find a new home.

I removed the table top and wings to transport the saw more easily and found the “50’s gray” cabinet was originally green on the edges of the table and inside the cabinet. I’d like to do some work to get it back to “stock”, like fill some holes that were drilled in the sheet metal and re-paint the cabinet 60’s green. The trunnion is green but the Leeson motor is a dark blue. It was so exciting to start up that 3hp motor and make a couple of cuts after using my Bosch 4000 contractor saw for the past 7 years!