Thread: Harlequin side table: rounding the dovetailed ends

Harlequin side table: rounding the dovetailed ends

We left off with the drawer dividers a dry fit in the case ...

And then this was pulled apart and the case glued up. After a clean up, the ends were looking a little tidier ...

Now we've been through this together with the Jarrah coffee table, but for those who want to know how ...

The ends are marked (with a washer) ..

The aim is the remove the waste progressively to the lines ...

This is quick to do with a low angle jack ...

.. and finish with a block plane ...

Now finish with sandpaper - 80/120/240 grit ...

The completed case ...

I spent a few hours today turning a few legs. Rather than show the prototypes, I am hoping that I may have enough time to complete them tomorrow - I have the afternoon off! - and then I will post more photos.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’m liking the very solid look the table has. The front and end curves offset the sheer weight of the piece. Looking forward to how the legs work with it’s solidity.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Thanks William.

The roundness is aimed at introducing the feminine side. Also the softening by curves. The internal dividers are deliberately made half the thickness of the case so as to reduced their impact. The drawers that will follow are in different woods, but they are gentle in colour and their tones should co-exist well together.

I hope that I can do justice with the legs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looking very fine Derek. I kept thinking I had seen rounded dovetails like yours somewhere. I think I finally remembered. The old radio casework from the 1920s and 30s had those rounded corners. Some were veneered and some were just dovetailed. I've been looking for some examples. I think there was other furniture too with that Art Deco kind of styling. Your work with the curves reminds me of the Art Deco work. I like the curved work a lot. Keep it up.
    Jim

Looks good Derek. I noticed in this series of posts how much influence the round-overs have on the overall appearance. The carcass boards look a bit heavy in the first picture in this post, particularly in relation to the dividers. However, to my eye that thickness is necessary to balance the rounded corners in the last photo. Well done!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Show Off!!!

Clean, crisp round overs from here Derek. Looking forward to the leg mate up with the carcase. I favor the slight-rounded-indentation-pocket-receptacle for the round legs to rest in, but interested in your problem-solve.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Looks good Derek. I noticed in this series of posts how much influence the round-overs have on the overall appearance. The carcass boards look a bit heavy in the first picture in this post, particularly in relation to the dividers. However, to my eye that thickness is necessary to balance the rounded corners in the last photo. Well done!

Best,
    Chris
    Actually Chris, the carcase sides are a thick 3/4”, which is quite a common dimension - it’s the dividers that are quite thin ... deliberately so. The aim is to ensure that they do not impose on the drawers. The rounded dovetails do soften the look of the carcase.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interesting, will look forward to seeing the completed cabinet visage.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Lots of opportunity to affect the piece with your treatment of the front edge of the case.

So to not blow out the ends, did you plane from each direction in or did you clamp a sacrificial piece at the end?

Looks fantastic so far.

Thanks Jason.

The planing was from the sides inward only ... leaving no chance of spelching.

Regards from Perth

Derek